Rear lowering kit....

katmol

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been wanting to change the angle of the rear shocks on my '75 XS but haven't been able to find anything that would do that. I always could find lowering kits for the CB750s I've had, heck I've even got a set on my '76 GL1000. But for my '75 XS....nothing! Till last week. Ebay comes through again!

Attachments

• 100_3048.jpg
    100_3048.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 968
  • 100_3049.jpg
    100_3049.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 925
  • 100_3047.jpg
    100_3047.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 812
  • 100_3052.jpg
    100_3052.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 625
What keeps that from collaping on a big bump? Shorter shocks would have done the same.

Nice! I was looking for those, but never found any.

Ended up modifying stock Harley 883 Sportster shocks. They are 11" eye to eye.

Top is stock 13" shocks and bottom is the 11" Sportster shocks:
unnamed_zpsouhru8is.jpg

I was really wanting the different angle on the shocks, not so much lower. If fact I think I going to pick up some shocks a little longer to bring the bike back to stock height.

I was really wanting the different angle on the shocks, not so much lower. If fact I think I going to pick up some shocks a little longer to bring the bike back to stock height.

So, then what's the point of changing the angle? Different motion ratio for slightly less spring and damping?

So, then what's the point of changing the angle? Different motion ratio for slightly less spring and damping?
I am not the OP, but it must be mostly cosmetic, unless I missed something.
First of all, these lowering blocks themselves add unsprung weight. Then there is the added weight, and possibly added cost, of longer shocks to compensate. If I wanted more slanted shocks (which I definitely don't), then a different or modified swing arm, or modified frame would be the way to go.

Those blocks won't move once tightened in place if they are like some I've seen. One end fits inside the stock mount on the swing arm, the other is wide enough so the shock blots into it.
The one end is made to fit agaisnt the swing arm so it can't rock up if thw wheel comes off the ground.
Using these work to help short legged people reach the ground. Same as shoter shocks. Some just like the new angle of the shock.
This makes the angle look more like the Specials shock angle. If I wanted that shock angle I would just get a Special, Oh wait a minute I have a Special. Well actaually two, one road ready, the other needs carb work.
I have a highly modded 75 though so I have both angles.
The 75 gives slightly better handling than the Specials. The 75 has a 130/16 on the rear, Easiest way to get rear disc brake. The Specials have lower bars so the differences are note as noticable.
Leo

Back