Rear master

pregrid

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Ok, not master but caliper .I got 2 brake calipers when I bought my '79 Special but they are identical, appear to be fronts. Can someone post a pic of the rear? I'm at the point of doing brakes and I think I'm screwed.

Thanks in advance.

Actually have 3 (found another one), the only difference is the bleeder placement on the one on the right

calipers.jpg

Last edited:
The one on the right is a rear, I'm pretty sure-without actually looking. But there's a bracket-sort of wedge shaped with a hole for the axle/spacer. Let me know, I probably have what you need.

John

The one on the right is a rear, I'm pretty sure-without actually looking. But there's a bracket-sort of wedge shaped with a hole for the axle/spacer. Let me know, I probably have what you need.

John

Thanks, John. Spacer/bracket is already installed. Just went on fleabay and I think you're right, the one on the right is a rear. Trippy thing is, except for the bleeder placement the front and rear are identical, or so it seems. i'm gonna go shopping for pads to affirm that. What confused me is that I've never seen a bike where the front and rear were almost identical.

Yup just bleeder. they use the same internal parts and pads as the front. Not all that unusual keeps the parts count down. The rear disk has a smaller diameter. (same as fronts on the XS750 and several others.

Left hand fronts have the bleeder and feed reversed and use a mirror image bracket. Same on Non Special XS750 and XS1100. Sorry I took so long to answer. Wife had me out riding the horses.

So my question on the topic of calipers.. is, if Mikes XS sells the front kit and not the rear kit (caliper assembly complete) , you can use one of the fronts on the rear?

So my question on the topic of calipers.. is, if Mikes XS sells the front kit and not the rear kit (caliper assembly complete) , you can use one of the fronts on the rear?
Good question and I think it's a maybe, there might be an issue getting it bled completely. If I think of it tomorrow I'll drag some out of the bin and review the differences. Otherwise Used rears are easy to find (I have a couple) and put a new piston and seals in it.

Back