rear sets kickstart

Leslie

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
337887882_o.jpg
[/IMG]Lads,
How do you get around the kickstart lever clashing with a set of after market rear sets

337887844_o.jpg
[/IMG]

They are the Fast from the Past rear sets and are a great piece of kit any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie

Last edited:
I use Vortex rear sets I got cheap off a crashed Hayabusa with some homemade A-dapter plates. They aren't quite as far back as those, but my kicker still hits them. I would rather it clear, but I just keep an eye on it for cracks and remember that the kicker stop on my dirt bike is the foot peg...

I believe durgam_K was making folding rearsets that cleared the original kickstarter. Do yours fold in the same manner? The addition of an SR500 kicker may give you the extra clearance you need. The spline should be the same on both.

pics of sr500 kick installed. photos sourced from another thread

Attachments

• img1611lth.jpg
    img1611lth.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 995
  • img1608p.jpg
    img1608p.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,053
Can you take just a splined section of a kick lever and weld it to your spline piece, then the lever is moved out and extra inch or so when in use?

There's a quick'n'dirty way to make these Tarozzi rearsets swing out of the way of the kickstarter. First, you need the folding peg (as in your pic). Set the angle of the brake lever, and carefully mark the holes you have pinned. Then file a slot in the ring between the marked hole and another hole at least two positions away. The effect is to have the brake lever still brake when you press down, but have the pin slide in the filed slot when you lift the lever up.

It's klunky, but it works.

Attachments

• modified.jpg
    modified.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 375
Can you take just a splined section of a kick lever and weld it to your spline piece, then the lever is moved out and extra inch or so when in use?

It would probably be in the way when riding. When I had my high pipes on, the stock kick lever would ride it when folded in so I got another kicker from the junk yard for a few bucks to play with. Got an old Harley kicker that bends out, cut the bottom off it and the top off the stocker and welded them together. Not the most comfortable thing with mid controls, but it worked. It wouldn't clear the pegs though so I put the stock one back on when I made my last set of exhaust.

I think an XS750 kick lever helps with clearance. I might have one I can check. Search fleabay for this it has a good pic.
78 YAMAHA XS 750 TRIPLE USED PARTS KICKSTART

I bought one of the extended kick starters from Mikes. Depends on exactly where/how your pegs are mounted, but mine clears just fine by folding the right side peg up before kicking.

I would like to see a kit that included the modifided kick start lever. I would rather have a kick start lever that cleared the rear sets without folding up a peg.
jefft

Here was my solution to the original style kicker that was hitting my exhaust.

Perhaps the RD400 kicker will be suitable to clear your rear-sets?

6851304499_716790d438_b.jpg

Thors Hammer Yamaha XS650 Bobber by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

6851305205_095c135b80_b.jpg

6851305911_30fd1927c0_b.jpg

The RD400 kicker really follows the lines of the engine very well as shown below.

7178988608_ca163b3020_b.jpg

Cheers

Steve

http://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com.au/

Just found a place called HVC cycle in Lincoln NE. that specializes in RD 400's. They make a kickstart for a RD that is modified to clear rearsets. Whether it would fit ours I don't know.
jefft

Back