Rear shock length with gsxr front end

XsJosh

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I converted my 75 to USD forks from a 94 gsxr750. I used all factory gsxr parts, no special clamps or anything. Right m.j ow I have an old set of mikesxs 11.5 rear shocks mounted and it seems to handle well (only like 14 windy cold miles do far). I'd like to go back to stock (12.5?) or maybe a bit higher in the rear does anybody have any experience/suggestions? Mostly looking for length, not so much brands (yet)
20200513_062725.jpg

I really like the way your bike is looking!

It appears you aren't afraid to modify/modernize/upgrade.

The stance looks great! Maybe a little short on ground clearance???

I'll bet the GSXR front end is significantly stiffer than the stock forks and springs which would make the bike ride very differently,it might not look as good but putting slightly taller rear shocks on the rear would probably make it handle better as long as they have some decent damping.

There's my 2¢

Seriously, looks great!

Jon

As an unasked-for sidenote you may have noticed how a modern stiff fork and effective brakes coupled with sticky new tires really highlight how flexy the swingarm and frame are...

As nice as everything else is you should bite the bullet and get some high end shocks (worx, online etc) maybe after trying some Chinese cheapos to determine a good length.

Those look like the same Sportster mufflers I have.

Longer shocks up to around 343 mm or 13 1/2" is usually ok. Depending on what size sprockets you use, the chain may start rubbing on the top of the swing arm, especially if the shock springs are overly stiff. Some afternarket shocks also conflict with the stock chain guard, especially those that are fitted with the rod and spring downwards

This one has 12 1/2" rear shocks. I hate the 17" front wheel and plan to use a stock 19" front then I`ll go to a 13 1/2" shock. What spacers and axle did you use to mount the GSXR discs on the Yamaha 19" wheel?:umm:
XS`s 011-001.JPG

This one has 12 1/2" rear shocks. I hate the 17" front wheel and plan to use a stock 19" front then I`ll go to a 13 1/2" shock. What spacers and axle did you use to mount the GSXR discs on the Yamaha 19" wheel?:umm:
View attachment 166931
What diameter axle does yours have? The early gsxr750 wheels used the same OD bearings as the xs650 so it was as easy as installing new wheel bearings. Spacers were a bit of trial and error. I think I ended up with 12mm with a speedometer drive.

As an unasked-for sidenote you may have noticed how a modern stiff fork and effective brakes coupled with sticky new tires really highlight how flexy the swingarm and frame are...

As nice as everything else is you should bite the bullet and get some high end shocks (worx, online etc) maybe after trying some Chinese cheapos to determine a good length.

Those look like the same Sportster mufflers I have.
Can't beat the sportster mufflers for what people want for almost new take offs! As far as shocks my plan is to go back to a stock length maybe a bit higher. I am just curious what length shocks people have tried and how it handles.

Back