Rear swingarm pivot

Have you tried tapping it out with a mallet? This is what should come out. Bolt first , sleeve after you get the swing arm off , and the seals. Hope this helps.
IMG_0012-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Yah I have tried to tap on the threaded end with a plastic mallet but it doesn't want to budge. I do see the weird square piece on the opposite end. It looks like everything is off.

Many of these are stuck pretty bad. Nobody ever kept them greased like they were supposed to so the bolt can rust in the arm and the frame holes. Apply penetrating oil, maybe some heat, and use a BFH. Remove the grease fitting on the threaded end of the bolt, put the nut part way back on, find a nice piece of hardwood to lay against it, and have at it with that big hammer. And I do mean big, a 3 or 4 lb. sledge is just the ticket, lol.

Might be rusted in place. Try rotating the left end maybe? Or is it time for a BFH? big hammer....:doh:
5twins you beat me!

Only by 4 minutes, Pumps, lol. Speaking of BFHs, that reminds me of my favorite Harley joke ......

Do you know why Harleys don't come with a tool kit?

They couldn't fit that 32 oz. ball peen under the seat.

Holy hell that thing was stuck in there. I took your advice and used a piece of wood and a hamer. After beating the hell out of it it came out. I also stuck the straw of my WD-40 in the grease holes and blasted the stuff in there.

I had to use my 3 foot long crescent wrench to leverage the other end out.

Anyways now its out and all the bushings that I see appear to be metal. Where are these plastic bushings that we are supposed to replace?

The plastic bushings are inside the swingarm once you get it off the bike. They are black so they might blend in. The ID of the plastic bushings is smaller than the ID of the swingarm hole, so you can just slip a long screwdriver in there from the opposite side and catch the lip of the bushing, then tap it out with a hammer. Mine came out with almost no force whatsoever. Maybe the previous owner has already installed the bronze bushings on your bike. That would be a treat, since it was a huge hassle for me to get the bronze ones in my swingarm. They just didn't want to go in.

The plastic bushings are inside the swingarm once you get it off the bike. They are black so they might blend in. The ID of the plastic bushings is smaller than the ID of the swingarm hole, so you can just slip a long screwdriver in there from the opposite side and catch the lip of the bushing, then tap it out with a hammer. Mine came out with almost no force whatsoever. Maybe the previous owner has already installed the bronze bushings on your bike. That would be a treat, since it was a huge hassle for me to get the bronze ones in my swingarm. They just didn't want to go in.
Ahh thanks. I found them, they are definitely plastic. They are stuck in good. I will definitely try your trick. Thanks!

If you're going to install the bronze bushings then it's best to provide a better means of lubing them. If you look at the sleeve in Pump's pic, you'll see holes about 1" in from each end for grease to enter the plastic bushings from the side. If you examine your old plastic bushings, you'll see they have a grease groove around the I.D. about half way down their length running parallel to the top and bottom of the bushing. They are designed to get their grease from the side.

Now look at the I.D. of your new bronze bushings. They should have swirl grease grooves running from top to bottom. They are designed to receive their grease from the top or the rear (bottom), not the side. There are 2 ways you can achieve this. The easiest is to add 2 more holes at the center of the pivot tube. This will allow grease from the original fittings at the bolt ends to fill the center area of the swingarm and feed your new bushings grease from the back .....

PivotTube.jpg

The other option is to add an additional grease fitting to the bottom center of the swingarm .....

SwingarmGreaseNipple2.jpg

Ahh thanks. I found them, they are definitely plastic. They are stuck in good. I will definitely try your trick. Thanks!

I took mine out after getting the swingarm powdercoated, so it may have been the heat that got them so loose. If you can't get them out, try to heat up the swingarm somehow.

Well they came out pretty easily with sky hawks strategy. I lubed the new ones up with grease and pounded them in with a plastic mallet.

It worked out very nicely. Thanks for the advice everyone!

I beat on it some more, swore some more. I had a cresent on the rectangular end and beat on with no success. Then I put the torque multiplier on the crestent wrench, yes a piece of pipe, and tink, the sound of breaking metal. That broke the rust weld, just like mentioned in this link. Then with more wd40, cursing, hammering, and back and forth movement, sucess. Just another all afternoon project. I won.

I got my swingarm installed today. It went pretty easily. It feels sooooo better. All the sloppiness is gone, I am sure the handling will be improved a ton. Dang wait to get back out on the road.

Did you do the grease fitting or pivot sleeve mods? If not, your nirvana will be short lived, lol. That's fine I guess if you're selling the bike tomorrow but in a few months, you'll become one of those dreaded P.O.s that we all love to hate so much (friggin' guy installed new bushings but no way to grease them).

(friggin' guy installed new bushings but no way to grease them).

Think of the original bushings. Obviously the bolt was supposed to turn against the metal sleeve, and the sleeve was supposed to stay where it is in the bushing, because if anything was turning against the plastic or it was turning it would wear out immediately. Plenty of grease should get between the bolt and the sleeve using the nipples already present.

Back