Rebuild anticipation is killing me!

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
The cylinders are honed and the valves are lapped. I placed my order today for gaskets, etc. and I am now on edge anticipating everything to show up so I can start putting my motor back together. I absolutely cannot wait until my parts get here. I'm hoping this project goes smoothly. I'll take advantage of this time to read up on engine rebuilds.

When I got mine I was a total newb to the 650 and I believe I had the engine in and out of the frame three times before she was finally settled, 7,800 miles ago. You'll be fine.

Thanks for the encouragement. After studying the parts I'm gaining confidence that I'll get it right sooner or later. Even if it takes me a couple times.

Take a deep fuckin' breath! this is no time to be antsy!! Assume the lotus position, and repeat after me..............ahmmmmmmmmm, ahmmmmmmmmmm..........................

The cylinders are honed and the valves are lapped. I placed my order today for gaskets, etc. and I am now on edge anticipating everything to show up so I can start putting my motor back together. I absolutely cannot wait until my parts get here. I'm hoping this project goes smoothly. I'll take advantage of this time to read up on engine rebuilds.

Have you read this:
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=EngineModified&action=display&thread=327

Some excellent tips in there.

I got this tip from 5twins: When installing the head gasket, run a very small thin bead of 3bond 1104 (1109?) or Yamabond around the camchain tunnel and the outer stud holes. Its a little insurance against oil passing along the gasket.

Its super important to torque the head studs to the correct torque and to re-do the torque after some riding.

I ordered a tube of threebond for that purpose. MMM at 650 Central stated that today when I placed my order. He also suggested the copper washer set and a new front cam guide. I figured it's cheap insurance while I got the thing apart. I tell you what, I value that guy's business. I left a message this morning after realizing that he's closed on Fridays fully expecting a return call on Monday. He called me back this afternoon and took my order personally. And, he took the time to review my build with me to make sure I didn't miss anything.

RG, I plan on the re-torque after a few miles and a soft break in period. I also will review the link you suggested a few times.

I've modified my sealer application slightly since my head gasket started weeping a bit along the front edge after a few seasons. I now add an additional strip of sealer along the front edge (shown in yellow below) connecting the cam chain tunnel and outer stud holes together .....

HeadGasketSealer.jpg

Back