Recent and unusual response from Rear Drum Brake

You may have just been at the point where the drum needed to be cleaned and lubed again. they can do some strange things when the lube goes away. On one of my other bikes, the rear drum started howling and screeching last summer. It had been squawking a little the first time I applied it on every ride, but that went away after a couple applications so I just attributed it to a little rust forming on the drum surface. Well, last summer it stopped going away, lol. Time for a look-see. The drum was clean as a whistle inside, no rust at all. OK, might as well re-lube it I thought. Jeeze, I know I did this when I got the bike. Wait, that was like 22 years ago, lol. That was the problem, the grease was all dried out. A cleaning and fresh grease, and now it's quiet as a church mouse.

But now I know about the best grease to use, that Sta-Lube premium red stuff, as recommended by 3M from Vintage Brake. Back when I originally did this drum, I was using black moly stuff.

Thanks 5twins. I did use the black molly lube yesterday.. I had it on hand.

Pic attached.. Is this the stuff you recommend?

Attachments

• Red Lube.jpg
    Red Lube.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 167
Yes, good for high pressure, limited movement spots like the swingarm bushings and steering head bearings. Probably not the best choice for wheel bearings. I also use it on my clutch worm and some areas under that left cover .....

InsideLeftCover.jpg

The blue grease is one of my other favorites, Kendal Super Blue. It's a bit lighter but very waterproof, a favorite among boaters for their boat trailer wheel bearings. I inject it right up into the cable elbow.

Back