Refreshing a '79 Special XS650

motorbikerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Today, after flushing crappy fork oil out and adding 170mls synthetic 10wt fork oil the forks were still really lousy, squish yand soft so today jacked the bike up and added 20 mls Moreys and 30 mls extra fork oil to each leg, also a couple of ten cent coins on top of each spring disc for more preload.
Rough I know but just to get bike rideable for now to suss out other problems.
Really needs Fork seals, Progressive springs and Gold Valves as well as 15 W fork oil (maybe fork bushings)

While it was in the air I swung the bars around side to side, to find a gorilla on steroids must've done up the head bearings , tight as buggery and that's what was obviously now making the bike almost un-rideable combined with saggy forks and dragging brakes...dreadful and scary!!! (needs tapered rollers)
Same gorilla that cranked up the sump plugs to around 120 ft lbs is my guess!...and the slop that came out masquerading as oil had to be seen to be believed, sump plug magnets covered in metal sludge and oil that looked like a cross between creamed honey a metallic chocolate milkshake!
Bottom screen broken naturally and side filter that caked with crap it has to be seen to be believed!

While on jack I moved rear wheel to alignment marks and checked chain adjustment.
detected excess swingarm bush play (note for brass bushings)
As I didn't have a replacement oil sump strainer on hand I reassembled without one after a thorough clean and also thoroughly cleaning the side filter.
Then I added 2 litres Penrite mineral 20-60 diesel oil for a flush run. (note to buy strainer)
Before starting again I adjusted cam chain which was a bit out, valves which were quite loose, and chopped half the baffles out of the mufflers so it sounds like a bike not a sewing machine.
Ran bike up to temp for a compression check and found 150 in each after 3-4 electric cranks.....also heard a squeak from rh cylinder
Sprayed carb cleaner around manifold rubbers and sure enough a vacuum leak.
Pulled air filters (did '79 Special come stock with oil foam inside airbox?) then carbs to find carb manifold rubbers shot and breaking up (note for new carb intake rubbers)

New spark plugs now look a bit rich too but still have to clean and check points and set timing (though starts first kick)
Added a fuel stabiliser and lead replacement to the tank of fresh fuel.
Still to do is change brake fluid and check pads for excess wear, a full check of clutch adjustment, bring gear lever up to a better position, check alternator brushes as well as buy a halogen globe to replace the dismal headlight bulb.
Investigate why the speedo and tacho are coming loose out of thier chrome cans.
And bring rear shocks up from softest setting to hardest
A Pamco ignition could be on the cards looking at the pissweak spark when comp testing.
There must be more.....bike has sat idle for 3 years to my knowledge, (tyres dated 2010 so could've sitting longer)
Bikes supposed to have been rebuilt but that's a fib,... fresh paintjob and exterior clean , yes...Rebuild NO...
I think its gonna get one of sorts anyway to bring it to safe roadworthy condition.

May need a few tips along the wayt

Sound about typical for these old gals motorbikerx.

Looks like you’ve got yourself a ballgame there!

Pete

Yamaha must have made about a bajillion '79 XS Specials, they're everywhere!

Sounds like a good start.

... attend'd a swap meet in central Wisconsin couple years ago....host'd at a cycle shop that was a Yamaha dealer back in the day. The owner told me when the 78' Special's came out.... he couldn't get enough.. sold them by the truck load.

All those "fancy" fork fixes are nice, but expensive. You can improve the forks quite a bit for practically nothing. Use 7 ounces of 10wt. fork oil instead of the just under 6 ounce spec, perform the "Minton Mods" to the damper rods, and add 1'' long pre-load spacers to the stock springs.

Yes well my first legal roadbike was a 79 Special ( well sorta legal, we had a 250cc starter regulation that I totally disregarded for years)
Just did some sums and the work Ive done so far with parts and the anticipated parts cost to completion is around 3K, and with my labour to finish could be up around 5k AUSD completed

All those "fancy" fork fixes are nice, but expensive. You can improve the forks quite a bit for practically nothing. Use 7 ounces of 10wt. fork oil instead of the just under 6 ounce spec, perform the "Minton Mods" to the damper rods, and add 1'' long pre-load spacers to the stock springs.

Yeah well Ive already done close to similar already with fork oil increase plus the Moreys....I could try 1"spacers when I renew the fork seals when they arrive.

But if the bike turns out to be a definite keeper then a full front rebuild upgrade is in order.
As an aside I have my old Victory Vegas complete front end trees forks wheel fender the lot sitting here , as Ive fitted a full chrome USD fork setup in its place on my Victory...A big deviation from original but itd look real cool like a wide glide front with 21"Stingray front wheel.
My spare now, Victory Vegas front end already has the full RaceTech treatment, I've fitted Progressive springs, drilled dampers, Gold Valves, and Full Synth oil to it as well as fabbed up spacers to get it just right....Then I scored a killer deal on a Kingpin UpsideDown front end with valanced fender and wide 18" front wheel.
Got clipped by an illegal uturner over double lines on a bend so my souped up Victory is still sitting waiting for insurance assesment and its taking forever.
Another door opened with this XS 650 Special, a breed Ive owned many incarnations, bobbers chops over my life so its only natural I gravitate back when I'm in need...
Just didn't quite expect to be getting in so deep on this particular bike as it was represented to me as rebuilt...which its definitely not....more a shiny together basket case really.
Sold my last '73 TX650 Rat-ster to help fund my Victory

Last edited:
my new carb intake rubbers arrive soon
,http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=182448324120&view=all&tid=1766027288008

yeah theyre Chinese but they gotta be better than the original( flaky inside) ones that are on the bike now,
I tried to fix them internally with Sikaflex but it must have come off and been consumed by the engine as its whistling intake vacuum again and the idles inconsistent gotta goose it at the lights and constantly fiddle with the screw at idle to keep it running.
Anyone running these cheapies and got any tips?

I hate to be the bearer of sad tidings, but those intake rubbers may not fit your BS38 carbs. I know they are speced for '78-'83 but that's just not possible. They could fit '78-'79 (BS38) or '80-'83 (BS34) but can't fit both. The 2 carb types require different diameter intake rubbers. I'm going to guess that these will turn out to be '80-'83 BS34 manifolds as that part is quite plentiful and readily available from the aftermarket. The BS38 manifolds are much harder to come by, especially ones with vacuum nipples. Do let us know if they happen to be the right ones for the BS38s. Like I said, that item is hard to find.

You could try the JBM Industries carb holders for the Yamaha 650.I bought some from Sudco and they cracked real bad due to my running them with pods rather than stock airbox.I was going to try the JBM holders but went with Mikuni VM 34's on aluminum manifolds instead.

I hate to be the bearer of sad tidings, but those intake rubbers may not fit your BS38 carbs. I know they are speced for '78-'83 but that's just not possible. They could fit '78-'79 (BS38) or '80-'83 (BS34) but can't fit both. The 2 carb types require different diameter intake rubbers. I'm going to guess that these will turn out to be '80-'83 BS34 manifolds as that part is quite plentiful and readily available from the aftermarket. The BS38 manifolds are much harder to come by, especially ones with vacuum nipples. Do let us know if they happen to be the right ones for the BS38s. Like I said, that item is hard to find.

Yeah I know theyre a gamble but I dont bet on horses or dogs or poker machines .
If they fit then fine.
If they dont well I havent lost too much.
Bike runs fine off idle except for the snarkling snap crackle pop on decel.
They may arrive tomoz but Ive gotta do work on someones Toyota to help pay the bills so may not get to the post office and doubt Id be eve attempting to fit em tomoz.

Yeah mate you are correct the rubbers arrived and I just loosened and pryed the carbs back enough to measure roughly the outer throat size and no way theyll fit .
So back to squeaky intake and inconsistent idle...
So who's got the best value in BS38 intake rubbers for an Aussie?

Too late I didnt wait for an answer, rang a local bloke who suggestedd Goeffs XS here in Australia so Ive just ordered a set off him.
Not as cheap as that link though the link doestnt state 34or 38mm just model years which can vary as Ive just found out the hard way.
Thanks anyway and Ill keep an eye on that link for other stuff

It's all about asking questions before buying...............every thing has been asked and answered at least once.

If you can't decipher the carb holders and which model/year they are for, then how can you get the right ones from Geoff's when he doesn't sell the 78/79 carb-holders ;).

info for later reference. The year of the different carb-holders.
70-73 BS38's Special angle

74-78 BS 38 Carb-holders interchange
74-77 BS38's without vacuum tubes
78-79 BS38's With vacuum tubes

80-83 BS34's with Vacuum Tubes

Last edited:
How am I gonna get the right ones off Goeff? ....why by ringing him up and talking to him of course.
As I dont speak Chinese it would be pointless trying to communicate with them, (though Im attempting that now to get my $17 back)
The words "not happy" seem to work, wether its fried rice or bike parts that phrase seems to work.
Hey Skull I see youre a fellow Aussie from way up north so I lll say Gday!
And thank for the info.
Ive ordered verbally and he said to put a note in the email that its a
"79 Special with BS38 with angled holders."
He understands which ones I need though as you say theyre not listed on his site...strange.
Maybe cos hes selling to the world and our OZ 79s are a little shall we say SPECIAL
Theyll have vacuum ports but mine are blanked off as I suspect the taps have been changed.

Geoff'sXS Gets all his products from the MikesXS line.

For someone who is the Guru of XS650's why not change the advert to include 78/79 Standard/Specials Carb boots.......He is a clone....... The US and Aussie 78/89's differed with the headlight electrics........................ All other-things the same.......except for a Special II

For someone who is the Guru of XS650's why not change the advert to include 78/79 Standard/Specials Carb boots.......He is a clone....... The US and Aussie 78/89's differed with the headlight electrics........................ All other-things the same.......except for a Special II

Yeah he did say on the phone that they all come from the same place when I enquired about the quality.
Also said hes only had complaints from those who run em without the metal cage, evidently they can crack unsupported.
Yeah wondered about the confusion of the listing on his site myself.
Didnt realise he was the Guru , what day of the week do we worship him?
Maybe he could include a little statue of himself with each order over a certain amount.

So do you know why the jumper from green yellow to green black dont work on our bikes?

Back