Reg/rec fitting to 78 special.

Yoozy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
After an eternity of dealing shit n stuff I've finally refound me mojo and got busy with the XS. One of the last jobs is fitting the reg/rec and I'm not getting it. It's got Boyer Branson and I've ripped all the old stuff out and rewired it completely.

This is what I've chucked,

And this is what I've got,

The wires coming out the bottom of the connector have been cut. Any help is much appreciated and I might just get out for a spin before we batten down the hatches for 6 months over in sunny Manchester. :thumbsup:

I know the blue ones the neutral wire :D

Looking at the wiring on the r/r unit, does it only have 5 wires? Did you convert your charging system to PMA?

Added:

Of course you didn't, I wasn't thinking, because those are the wires from your stator. So you may have the wrong r/r unit.

Last edited:
The BB was already on it, as to the pma I don't know much about that sort of stuff tbh. The Reg/red has red black and 3 yellers.

That being a 5 wire reg/rec it's for PMA or Permanent Magnet Alternator.
The one used on the XS650 is a Field Excited Alternator.
On the stock system when you turn on the key the reg reads the voltage on the brown wire. If this voltage is below the regs preset of 14.1-14.5 volts at this point the reg sends full battery power to the rotor on a green wire. At the rotor this power flows through one brush, the rotor, out the other brush to ground on the stator body as well as to the harness ground on a black wire.
Your reg/rec has no green or brown wire.
Leo

That being a 5 wire reg/rec it's for PMA or Permanent Magnet Alternator.
The one used on the XS650 is a Field Excited Alternator.
On the stock system when you turn on the key the reg reads the voltage on the brown wire. If this voltage is below the regs preset of 14.1-14.5 volts at this point the reg sends full battery power to the rotor on a green wire. At the rotor this power flows through one brush, the rotor, out the other brush to ground on the stator body as well as to the harness ground on a black wire.
Your reg/rec has no green or brown wire.
Leo

Thanks Leo, I have come to realise that. And educated myself via the numerous great threads on here. 7 wire Reg/rec on the table ready to get fitted as soon as my damned lurgy has gone.

Hey that's a great diagram, and a very good gotcha check! I'm stealing that puppy. :wink2:

Note; it is important that the orange wire goes to the top (not grounded) brush!

Back