Registering hardtail process Australia.

clubsandbones

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Seems as though every time i even think about registering by bike in Australia is just brings on headache after headache. Everyone i ask always says something different.

Should i register my bike then get a modification permit before i cut the end off and weld a hardtail on it? Then get an engineers cert?

Or can i weld on a hardtail on an unregistered bike, then get an engineers cert and register it?

**The bike already has compliance plates

clubs...,

It would seem to me that you would want to get the registration first in case something prevents you from doing that. :thumbsup: If you do the hard tail first and then are not able to register it, that would not be a good thing..:doh:

Hi clubs,
as I remember my son's Australian bike purchase, the bike only gets inspected when it changes ownership.
My son's bike's PO gave him a "legal" muffler to put on the bike when he got it inspected.
I'd say get the bike all papered up in your name before you take a Sawzall to it.
Getting the hardtailed version papered will be the next owner's problem?

Every State has different rules.

Go to your States "Department of transport and Main roads" site and do the research your self.

People know everything until you find out they know nothing except an idea someone else said.

A couple of links to the Queensland Department of Transport and Main roads. For an Example

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications.aspx

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/About-vehicle-standards-and-modifications.aspx

Join the 650 Club of Australia. There are some members in Perth

Buy one with the hardwork already done? :)

Dunno about Perth but over here in Sydney it makes no diff if you register then certify or vice versa. Both parts have to occur to make the bike road legal. So if you chop a registered bike then certify, the engineer's certificate gets recorded on your rego papers. It makes more sense to go the other way from a paperwork perspective; ie certify then register

Pre ADR models (<1976)...do what you like! (not really but certainly less painful)

just think of all the custom and hard tails you see up for sale in oz advertised AS IS (no roadworthy no rego) mainly due to being registered then chopped,once up for sale without a engineering report they are very hard to sell or go very cheaply (you only need 1 arsehole of a cop)

Back