Regular Silicon Spray for Exhaust Wrap????? Opinions.

EvenmoreXS

1981 XS650
Reaction score
I dont want to paint my wraps white. Stoopid DEI only sells colored spray that is different from the wraps they sell. With the exception of black. I like the way the wraps look now and dont want to paint them a color. I do have the white spray if I have to, but I dont want to. My question is , what if i just spray em with regular silicon spray. The same stuff you would keep on your table saw table for smooth pushes. Its clear and repels water and dust. I've read the DEI spray is spray paint with silicon in it. Could I use just silicon? Any brand recommendations if so???

I did paint the pipes with high heat paint before wrapping. Several coats. I believe it was duplicolor.

DAMN THEM ALL FOR NOT MAKING CLEAR EXHAUST WRAP SPRAY

Attachments

• IMAG0738.jpg
    IMAG0738.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,090
I never spray my wrap with silicone, Ive done black and white. I soak the wrap before wrapping pipe, after its wrapped I leave it alone. Just saying.

I never spray my wrap with silicone, Ive done black and white. I soak the wrap before wrapping pipe, after its wrapped I leave it alone. Just saying.

I did soak it. Tied one end off on my garage wall and pulled as I rolled to wrap it nice and tight. It may be fine, I'm avoiding any water at all until I decide how i feel about it. But, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Thanks

How come you need to spray the wrap? I even wrapped mine without soaking them or anything. They've even gotten wet in the rain. I'm not sure I understand the problem. I also didn't paint the pipes before I wrapped them. Did I ruin them and not know it?

Turns out, the wrap retains moisture. The moisture causes your pipes to rust prematurely. Especially if they are not painted or chromed or powder coated. The silicon spray is designed to have moisture bead off the outside of the wrap and not soak in. Protects the wraps from dirt and road stuff too. Keeps em looking nice.

So I've heard.....read....

I havent sprayed mine yet. They are painted though.

Yeah, I've heard about the rusting, but thought, what are we talking here. Now the exhaust rusts to enough to compromise it in 10 years, instead of 30 years? I don't want the bike in 10 years. I'd like to think I'll have a few more under my belt by then. :wink:

Seirously, though. What is the timeline, really?

I generally don't like my bikes looking new, though, so maybe I'd stay away from the silicon also? It sounds like it'd work well though, and I don't think that it'd be a problem spraying pipes with straight silicoln spray. If you think about it, you can use silicon grabbers to pull stuff out of the oven at 450° without problem. If your pipes are hotter than that THROUGH your wrap, you might want to rethink your wrap provider.

I feel like I keep rereading my post and thinking I sound like a jackass. I'm not trying to do so, I hope people aren't taking it like that.

Installed the wrap and never did anything. Pipes painted with ceramic heat paint.

Wash the bike all the time, wrap and all, no big deal.

They dry quickly.

Found that after the first install, go back and loosen it off and start over. The second session seems to get a better tighter wrap. It's like it's preformed the second time. Don't take it completely off, just loosen enough to get a good grip on it and start re wrapping. Usually leave one end attached and untwist then re-tighten. Hard to explain but hope you get my drift.

Great stuff. Tachometer cable was melting because of the single wall pipes and close proximity to the pipes. Now you can "gently", and I do me gently, touch the pipes when hot and not get burnt fingers.

Sweet

Back