Regulator/rectifier identification and wiring help

natek

XS Obsessed
Reaction score
Wiring an 83 xs650 TCI motor and need to know if this is the correct reg/rec. The numbers on the back of the unit read "TMR1003BU 9/05"

If this is correct notice there is no black but a blue wire. Where would this attach? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 458
That looks like an aftermarket unit. As far as I know, the originals were a natural aluminum finish, not painted, and the wires coming out would have a sleeve around them. Of course, there are correct aftermarket units out there but I couldn't tell you if that's one of them.

It looks a lot like the one Mike's sells. The one he sells for the 70-79 wires up like in these instructions.
I can't say if yours will wire up the same or not.
Leo

Attachments

• Rectifier%20Regulator%20Instructions.jpg
    Rectifier%20Regulator%20Instructions.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 766
One more thing The year of the engine is not what you need to worry about. You need to figure out what year the stator is. The way the brushes are wired on the stator determines if it is a 70-79 or an 80 up.
These pics are first the 70-79 notice how the wires at the brushes are. Both hook to the left side screws and one is green and one black. The black one hooks under a screw that holds a long strap that goes under the wire screw plus it goes over under the one next to it then comes up over the brush to a screw below the brushes. Marked 1, 2 and 4 in the pic. The green wire is under 3.
The second is the 80 up. Notice the difference in the way the wires are. The green is still under 3. but there is no black wire, The brown wire goes over to screw 2, notice there is no long strap under screws 1 and 2.
The early send power from the reg to the green wire brush and the black wire is ground.
The later power goes to the brown wire, the green wire to the reg where it gets grounded by the reg.
Look your parts over well to determine which you have.
Leo

Attachments

• nylonscrews2.jpg
    nylonscrews2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 496
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 531
And the way the brushes are wired determines the type of regulator needed. If your motor is a stock TCI '83 and that regulator is made to work on '70-'79 bikes, they aren't compatible. I think there's a way to use the later regulator on the earlier motor by changing the brush mounting method (to plastic screws) but I don't know if it can be done the other way around (old style reg to new style brushes/alt.).

I think the 70-79 reg/rec can be used. Just run the green wire as listed. On the brown wire brush instead of hooking it to power hook it to ground.
That should make it work.
Leo

Back