Regulator/Rectifier Placement

Onlybetx

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out the best place to put my reg/rec so that it's getting sufficient air flow and provides the cleanest wire routing.

I built a battery box under the seat that houses the battery and other wiring, but I'm guessing it won't get enough air flow for the reg/rec to be up there too?

My other question is can it be mounted to the left engine case above the chain or will there be too much heat transfer from the case?

The frame with no engine yet is the bike I'm building. Picture of the engine is from the donor bike.

2013-05-24161702_zpsb4331af2.jpg

2013-06-06131244_zpsc7942002.jpg

2013-06-06150129_zpsbf98651d.jpg

You could do like I did and mount it on the BOTTOM of the electronics pan. Weld some studs onto the bottom and put some nuts on to secure it, that way there is no interruption to the inside floor of your pan for mounting other things.

Posted via Mobile

I think the best place for it is in the breeze under the bottom triple tree clamp. That's where BSA etc put their zenner diodes.

You could do like I did and mount it on the BOTTOM of the electronics pan. Weld some studs onto the bottom and put some nuts on to secure it, that way there is no interruption to the inside floor of your pan for mounting other things.

Posted via Mobile

I'd like to keep the area under the pan completely open, otherwise I'd put it there.

I'm worried about getting spray from the front wheel as I won't be running fenders.

For what it's worth, on my XV920RH, Yamaha put the R/R at the very bottom of the bike, down around the centerstand. It gets all kind of road grime and crap down there. :shrug:

I'm worried about getting spray from the front wheel as I won't be running fenders.

Well, you won't be riding much in the rain that's for sure. The wheel throws up a line of water any you ride right into it. It won't hurt the R/R but you will get a good soaking.

Mine on my Road Star is up front, out in the breeze and front wheel spray, and it does fine with 48K on the bike. I just lost the one in my SV650. It's buried under the side panel on the right side, but the bike has 68K miles on it, so I guess it's actually done well. Upgrading to the newer type that runs much cooler from the GSXR bikes.

Look closly below the side panel and behind the kickstarter here on my '77 TCI turd and you may see the fins of the reg/rec. I found an angled bracket and attached it to one of the lower rear engine mounting bolts. Plenty of air flow and close to the stock location. Rides clear of the swingarm travel. If you get into my neck of the woods, stop by and I'll give ya one of these brackets 'cause I've got a few of 'em.
seventyseven001_zps1bef8a6e.jpg

On the 80 up bikes they reg/rec was mounted on the rear of the frame just below the cross braces below where the battery box was. You can make a bracket to bolt to the rear engine mount bolts. I think the XScharge PMA kit comes with just such a bracket. Look at their website to see it.
Leo

Look closly below the side panel and behind the kickstarter here on my '77 TCI turd and you may see the fins of the reg/rec. I found an angled bracket and attached it to one of the lower rear engine mounting bolts. Plenty of air flow and close to the stock location. Rides clear of the swingarm travel. If you get into my neck of the woods, stop by and I'll give ya one of these brackets 'cause I've got a few of 'em.

I'm looking to get a R/R mounting plate for mine. Is that the same mounting plate that Mike's XS advertises with their PMA Pamcopete ignition kits? Or is it something you've made up?

Can you send me a picture of one of your extra plates? I'd like to see 'em. I might be interested in one. I'd pay shipping. Let me know.

I'm looking to get a R/R mounting plate for mine. Is that the same mounting plate that Mike's XS advertises with their PMA Pamcopete ignition kits? Or is it something you've made up?

Can you send me a picture of one of your extra plates? I'd like to see 'em. I might be interested in one. I'd pay shipping. Let me know.

Dude, SICK ride!

I like that. The mounting position is great. I like it better than on the front of the front motor mount - how you've got it is above the front motor mount. Less chance of getting front wheel spray?

Did you have to make the fabricated part up yourself?

Thanks man! Yeah the plate that came with the reg/rec was welded onto the stock mount.

Dude, SICK ride!

I like that. The mounting position is great. I like it better than on the front of the front motor mount - how you've got it is above the front motor mount. Less chance of getting front wheel spray?

Did you have to make the fabricated part up yourself?

Back