Regulator

Ozboy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So i i finally tracked down my regulator and thought it was a VR794 but i was sent this VR-F114A.
Will this be ok for a post 79 A system?
Just a little confused.
20190117_180201.jpg

Yes, it appears it's the same unit but probably from a different maker so it has a different part number. This is a ground switching/controlling type regulator for use on the '80 and later charging systems, the ones with both brushes isolated and switched power fed to the inner brush.

dQyF0pr.jpg

J4ZczJO.jpg

Keep in mind that the case acts as the ground connection for that unit. If you mount it on the side of the battery box, a ground wire will need to be run from one of the mounting bolts to the main frame. The battery box hangs off rubber mounts and is not a suitable grounding point.

Yep got that thanks 5t. I will mount it in the original reg/rec spot on the down tube plus run a small ground strap to it. Rec is not as small as your set up but it should fit fine.
Hooked it up today for a test and works really well. Now to make the aluminium mounting plate and fit it up.
I will make a post of it.
Thanks
IMG_20190118_122914.jpg

Finished up the mount and wiring ready to fit up. It was a snug fit in the original mount space but no issues as it is a bit larger.
Soldered all connections. Lucky i got around to this as the green wire on the original reg/rec was starting show bare wires.
The red reg wire which is brown key switch i will power this from my spare pole on the relay i have for the coil that way it will regulate on battery voltage and not the .2v drop i have on the old key brown wire.
All up about $30AUD and not a hard job to do at all.

20190119_132119.jpg

Last edited:
I would have made it wider and cut horizonal slots on the vertical sides to aid in the air cooling.

Hey Az not alot of room on that down post mount tho. One side is up against the rear master mounting and the othe side getting closer to the chain.

I have an SG so same here. One can bend it a bit back to save space though. I have been thinking if it is possible to mount it where the TCI was under the battery. I'm running the Fiat reg now and the Radio Shack rectifiers in the old RecReg space.

Yeah i was thinking exactly the same on the TCI spot under the battery but i still have my TCI as you have a Pamco yours is freed up. Both are shitty small spots for my large fat hands and fingers tho!!

The separate rectifier on the '74-'79 models was hung off the bottom of the battery box. Seems like a good spot, pretty "open air".

Stripped 5cm of wire to get to the nice new stuff and fitted new terminals. Another dab of solder.
It was too late to test tonight so i will fire it up tomorrow and take it for another test!!
IMG_20190119_211644.jpg

Time to replace the 40 year old terminal block too.
IMG_20190119_213523.jpg

Ozboy, nice job. If it is anything like mine then it only warms up a little. Touch it and see after you have had it running. Also, what voltage is it regulating at? I used the Cargo regulator like yours and it sits at 14.6 - 14.7V.

I think the rectifier is the part that gets pretty hot. Most auto regulators don't have the cooling fins, they're just in a little tin box. This Fiat regulator is just so neat looking, it's almost a shame to have to hide it away when mounting it, lol. It's also very compact and cheap to buy.

So i just tested it and i was getting 14.2v @ 3000rpm and 13.4v @ idle around 1400rpm. I didint get the 14.5v i did see the other day when i plugged and played withw it . I swapped my brown wire back to the old wire and was still getting 14.2v. Too bloody hot here today to keep running it but i will clip my volt meter on and go for a run tonight

Back