Relocate bottom rear shock mount....

katmol

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on how to move the bottom rear shock mounts back a little. I would like to get a little more angle to the rear shocks. I know you can get "lowering blocks" for old Hondas. Anything like that for a '75 XS?

Thanks

I'm not sure but I think JC Whitney still lists them.
Replacing the worn out stock shocks with a good set of shocks will help more. You can even get shorter shocks.
Leo

I found an earlier thread on here that mentioned "lowering blocks" were available for the XS650. Anybody have a set? I would like to see some pictures if you do.

Thanks!

I looked on JC Whitney, no luck.
They are a square piece of steel wide enough to fill the space between the legs of the U the shock goes into. This piece is long enough to reach back to the rear of the swing arm. There is a bolt that holds a block in the rear of the swing arm. This bolt gets removed and a longer bolt goes down through the steel piece in the shock mount.
Their are two pieces of steel strap welded to the square piece back just before the bolt. They are high enough to have holes in them to bolt the shock into. This moves the shock toward the rear, lowering the bike.
Making a set should not be too hard.
Leo

Hey Leo,
Thanks for the replies. I think I can simplify it even more. The inside dimension of the U bracket that the bottom of the XS shock bolts in is 3/4". The inside dimension of the U bracket on the bottom of a CB750 rear shock is the same. All I need is a solid piece of 3/4" steel drilled for the bracket on the bike long enough to reach the bolt that holes that block you spoke of. Then weld a tab on the piece to run that bolt through. Then drill a hole in the piece to run the bottom CB750 shock bolt through. What do you think?

Frank

I looked on JC Whitney, no luck.
They are a square piece of steel wide enough to fill the space between the legs of the U the shock goes into. This piece is long enough to reach back to the rear of the swing arm. There is a bolt that holds a block in the rear of the swing arm. This bolt gets removed and a longer bolt goes down through the steel piece in the shock mount.
Their are two pieces of steel strap welded to the square piece back just before the bolt. They are high enough to have holes in them to bolt the shock into. This moves the shock toward the rear, lowering the bike.
Making a set should not be too hard.
Leo

I have 2 sets bought out of the usa ebay at different times over the yrs so they do come up every now and then ,never put them on so don't know if over time you might get a bit of slop / movement in the rear end ,moving the top mount maybe easier and cheaper with out the worry of sloppy rear wheel

Back