Remember that SCR950 Yamaha Scrambler I was all hot and bothered about?

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The ones that listed new for about $8600 in 2016? The one my Yamaha dealer couldn't get and I got tired of waiting and bought the FJ?

Apparently they're selling like used Yugos. Dealer in New Hampshire has new 2017's that he's blowing out for $4999!

Dodged a bullet there I think.

Daughter got forced out of her job via nepotism (long, sad story...) and is trying to sell her '15 Bolt. Going by the asking prices on Craigslist, she's upside down on it and is gonna take it in the shorts if she can sell it at all.

That's pretty much the norm, more bike sellers than buyers round here. Think the adventure bike thing may have peaked. Trikes for old farts still seem hot.

That's pretty much the norm nation wide. Boomers made up a big piece of the US bike market, and we're aging out rapidly. DE, new leftovers have been marked down to clearance prices here too, and they're not moving fast at all. If your daughter needs consolation, congratulate her on having the good sense not to buy a Harley--she'd be losing a major chunk of change. Guys who thought their $30,000 pimped out Hardly Ableson was going to appreciate in value and fund their retirement have gotten some rude shocks from the marketplace.

I wish I'd ridden the XSR. Probably still would have wound up with the FJ for the...ahhhhh..."mature" riding position, but I've made the FJ as "naked" as I reasonably can. Windshield and those funky hand guards are gone along with a few other weight/appearance mods.

The CP3 900 engine is amazing. You can do 100 mph in third or 25 mph in fifth and it just keeps pulling.

Yup, I agree with Grizld1. The Hogley Ferguson crowd (and possibly the people who spent the big dime on new Gold Wings as well) - are going to take a major bath, I suspect.

I think there’ll be a lot of really nice, slightly used bikes for sale in the next few years - for some bargain basement prices.

Update: They decided to sell grandson's '85 Nighthawk instead. Already have a good bite on it for more than they paid for it originally. Grandson (lives with Mom) will split payments on the Bolt with Mom and they'll share it.

Win-win under the circumstances.

Mom also got hired for the first job she applied for. Fairly serious pay cut, but better hours and health insurance at 1/4th of what she's paying currently so it'll pretty well balance out.

That's pretty much the norm nation wide. Boomers made up a big piece of the US bike market, and we're aging out rapidly. DE, new leftovers have been marked down to clearance prices here too, and they're not moving fast at all. If your daughter needs consolation, congratulate her on having the good sense not to buy a Harley--she'd be losing a major chunk of change. Guys who thought their $30,000 pimped out Hardly Ableson was going to appreciate in value and fund their retirement have gotten some rude shocks from the marketplace.
well , 80% of Harleys are still on the rd .. the other 20% made it home

I really hope your not trying to compare used Harley value to Metric bikes. I got $8000.00 for a nine year old Road King in 2017. I traded it in on a Suzuki C50T that cost $7800.00 new. Contrary to popular belief, most Harleys are no wheres near 30K. You can spend that, if you want to but you sure don't have to.

I'm well aware that a stock HD sells for well under $30K, Doug; what part of "pimped out" did you not understand? Harley still delivers the least bang for the buck in the industry, a result of aggressively selling image and neglecting development. I owned a KH back in the day when Harley made motorcycles as opposed to fashion statements, specified displacements in cubic inches, and operated shops that were motorcycle shops, not the boutiques they run today. They're trying to turn things around with the 500 and 750 offerings, development of an electric motorcycle, and assembly in Thailand to better compete in Asian markets. Good luck to 'em, but I suspect that what they're doing is too late. As regards value, the marketplace determines that, and from what I've seen it's not being very kind to the seller of any new or used bike.

Back