Removing Clutch Centre Nut

Ben Mccree

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happy New Year, My first question of the year and it won't be the last I'm sure of that. Have taken the clutch plates out but can't undo the centre nut. My book says ' lock clutch centre and remove nut and washers. Trouble is it does'nt say how to lock it. Can you help, Ben:banghead:

Happy New Year Everyone
Ya going to need a clutch holding tool Ben
Do a search on ebay for "Xs650 clutch holding tool" there is a couple available for about £19

You might be able to just use an impact and hold it with a glove.. Or make your own holder tool if you have some spare plates laying around. Some people put the bike in gear and hit the rear brake. :shrug:

Thanks for the reply Travis, I'll know next time to loosen it while the engine is still in the frame, and also loosen the drive sprocket at the same time. Ben

I took 2 of the friction plates and 2 of the drive plates and used small "C" clamps to hold them together then used the impact. Saved me from buying the holder tool.

All i did was put the bike in gear and step on the brake. I used the same technique to put it back on, torqueing it to spec.

I took 2 of the friction plates and 2 of the drive plates and used small "C" clamps to hold them together then used the impact. Saved me from buying the holder tool.

Yes, this is also what I did and it worked well. Make sure you don't plan on using those friction plates again, tho. Mine got torn up from the clamp biting into them.

hi i actually used the large socket and the toogle bar,,,not the ratchet,,, and used a peice of 1" by 24" water pipe,, and pulled on it and yes it was undune,,,, regards oldbiker

If you have mags instead of spokes just put the bike in gear and lay a wrench across the swing arm to block the wheel from turning. Then proceed to loosen or tighten the nut without a special tool to hold the clutch :) Reason #87594 why Specials are better than Standards :)

thank yous both got it..was that tight i wasn't sure weather i was turning the right way..and hi from australia...

here is my zero dollar clutch nut removal tool, handy if your engine is already out of the bike: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5234/7204177876_b022e90487.jpg

1. spin drive sprocket onto shaft if it's not still on there. doesn't need to be tight.
2. put transmission in gear
3. wedge appropriate scrap of wood between sprocket and case
4. turn clutch nut counter-clockwise with socket until wood is fed through and buts up against the case wall. at this point the sprocket is immobile and the clutch nut should pop.
5. enjoy tasty beverage.
6. try and figure out how to get the piece of wood out.

hi guys when i re-designed the wheel i was actually building myself a clutdh holding tool out of 4 old plates ,,,i will post a pic when i get my camera bit on my computer working ,,,,so i used 8 ,, 6mm hex hed or socket with nuts then checked they all slid on ,,then welded up 4 longish 10mm roung steel rods so that you lock up the inner/outer hub ,,, sorry just before that make sure you bend back the locking washer on the nut ,,, then i used a socket with a fixed bar and a longer length of gal pipe and off it came ,,,assembly was the reverse works like a treat regards oldbiker

Back