removing each fork leg as a complete unit

prue1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to replace my fork seal dust covers on my 72XS2, can I remove each individual fork leg without removing the steering head assembly/upper fork yoke? There is only one pinch bolt located on each side of the lower fork yoke. I have removed the front wheel, fender and disk and the one pinch bolt, but it appears that the fork is being held by the top "blanking" plug that runs through the top fork yoke. Please advise, thanks.

Thanks.

You'll need to remove the top fork caps. They hold each fork leg into the top triple tree. You'll probably need to tighten the lower pinch bolts back up so the tubes don't spin on you as you try to loosen those top cap nuts.

I've never heard them called that but I suppose it could be them. Be aware that they are what holds the springs in the tubes. They're gonna want to shoot out under spring pressure once fully unthreaded. Get the weight off the front end if possible and keep downward pressure on the caps as you unthread them so they don't go flying. The best tool for this is a T-handle. You can push down and turn at the same time .....

THandle.jpg

If you're replacing the dust covers you just need to loosen the bottom and top pinch bolts that hold the fork tube in the triple trees.
Slide the tube out with a twisting motion. Use small knife or screw driver to pop out old dust covers careful not to mark up the leg. Take a piece of plastic like the clear packaging from the dust covers. Put that over the top of the tube and oil the dust covers inner edge and slide down tube use a soft faced hammer evenly around edge until seated.

chizler's advice is fine for later forks, but like 5t sez the caps have to come off to separate the leg from the top triple on the 70-73 forks. The cap is a big hex on these early forks.

from a 71

71 forktop.jpg

Oh, yeah, duh. I must of read the OP wrong and was thinking 82 as I skimmed thru..lol
Thanks for steering it straight.

Yes, many early '70s forks are assembled in this manner (no upper triple tree pinch bolts). I've encountered them on Kawasakis, Suzukis, and BMWs.

Back