rephase rebuild strangeness

Good thing you couldnt get a comp tester, who knows what carnage that would have caused! At least your dealing with a gentleman and im sure that he's very embarased about it and keen to make amends. These things are sent to try us, and your getting there! :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Since I allready watched the vidio and the motor appeared to turning free and from the information given I needed to know if had compression or not so I could help him further.No carnage would have happened doing a compression test on this motor as yammaman implied If that was the case perhaps he should bash mrriggs for his suggestion on the degree wheel. I like to see numbers some times a spark plug would have done it try to turn a 650 by hand and it will tell if it's got compression or not. I'am not embarased at all and if we are all gentleman here and he should apoligise for his snibe remark. Even though the the valve was fully extended and the and piston was at top dead centere it wasn't hiting the piston it was on the cloesing ramp moving away the nudge in the vidio My apoligy Yamaman No way no how are you going move shit by hand and not come to a dead stop If there interferance. I will take the apology in the lounge I don't want to trash this thread any more than it has been. By the way shakey a condom works better than a ballon more accurate I learned that from kopcycle some here may here may know him. Shakey sorry to hear you got the wrong cam I will help you If you need By the way Nice bike your building looked at your profile on this site I usually do :cheers:

Take a pill brother, I was refering to Jerry being embarased due to poor qc, and as his email said he may of made a error and will fix it if he is at fault; very getlemanly of him I thought.

Posted via Mobile

Since you made a referance good thing you didn't get your hands on a compression gage it sure sounded like it to me so I took a pill I feal better

Last edited:
Say what you mean and mean what you say.
Sure will,You're one down right rude oxymoron,so come up for some air and re-read Yamaha's responses,as in no way was this Gentleman(No not You) in any fashion attacking you or criticizing you,he was merely trying to add some humor icing to the subject due to Mr. Heiden accidentally shipping you the wrong rephased cam. It's members like you who jump to conclusions without thinking,knowing all to well that misinterpretations happen from time to time when one sits behind keyboards.

Wow...this very technical, informative and interesting thread really went south in a hurry! I'm with Jack...it's so easy to misinterpret these crude key strokes, so just give all the benefit of the doubt and don't jump to conclusions in such a hurry...:wtf:

Now, man up and say you're sorry...:thumbsup:....you know who I mean.....:doh:

I think we need a group hug smiley. :)

Edit: Found some:
grouphug7.gif
hug6.gif

Attachments

• grouphug7.gif
    grouphug7.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
So latest news from this side o' the pond is I sent Mr Heiden some pics and a short video of the cam for identification. It turns out I have the wrong cam after all. Jerry has promised to build me the right cam early next week and ship it straight away.
Given that "to err is human", I reckon that's a pretty good respons from Mr Heiden.
I'll report back when I have the new cam installed.

So, the new/replacement camshaft has just arrived UPS from Jerry in Holland. Three days after Xmas - how about that for service.
I'm off to the workshop to go and install it now - fingers crossed

campic.JPG

Hey Carbon, Happy New Year to your good self! :)
Got the new cam in, all buttoned up and Pamco installed. Everything seems to be opening/closing at the right time - gapped the valves (new hex head adjusters) and got the cleaned/polished valve covers on the repainted top end for the first time. Very pleased with how it's looking.
engin.JPG

Now need to do a whole lot of frame/bodywork stuff before I can get the motor back in and time it properly.

Next step is to work up the seat and tailpiece: custom glass base, mated to the tailpiece from an SRX 600 which I have widened to accommodate a Triumph Daytona led rear light (which should be arriving here this week).

That looks an awful lot like one of my cams.

So do you supply cams to Jerry? If so I guess he could have had one in stock that he was able to send out. I was under the impression he did them himself. There are some identifying marks on the un-maschined section of the cam. How do you mark your cams?

And thanks Carbon, I have a pair of headers (1.75") from before this rebuild - I bought a set along with the mikunis from the late Tony at Halco Tuning many years ago. I am trying to decide if the chrome is salvagable (I know it isn't really...) or whether to go for VHT in alu or silver. I then want to finish them with something like these, angled up to the rear tailpiece.
silencers.jpg

wow, so do you supply Heiden with cams, Mr. Riggs?

Nope.

did they steal your design? yikes?!

Hard to say from one blurry picture but it does look like the cams I do. Even if they are copying "my" method, you can hardly call it stealing. I posted detailed step-by-step instructions, on this board and TCU, specifically so people could copy me.

I am an open source kind of guy. I don't believe that anyone can own an idea. Trying to do so not only hinders your own progress, it holds back everyone.

Hard to say from one blurry picture but it does look like the cams I do. Even if they are copying "my" method, you can hardly call it stealing. I posted detailed step-by-step instructions, on this board and TCU, specifically so people could copy me.

I am an open source kind of guy. I don't believe that anyone can own an idea. Trying to do so not only hinders your own progress, it holds back everyone.

Mr. Riggs would you mind posting a link to that thread?

Back