Rephase

RobbyG74

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at the enormous amount of information on these threads and I am starting to have dreams of Hugh rephrasing my motor and me highway riding without being scared to death that the motor is going to vibrate apart. But I live in Minnesota far away from Hugh. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience sending their cranks and cams to Hugh and then assembling the motor themselves OR if anyone has any experience shipping their entire motor to Hugh. Was it relatively straight forward assembling the rephrased parts your self? Was shipping the whole motor an easy process? Any insight would be great thanks!

Shipping to Hugh is a really straight forward process. If you use USPS, the crank and cam will all fit into a large flat rate box, under $20 if I remember correctly. Reinforce with cardboard so nothing gets damaged.

I've recently just reassembled my motor with the rephased crank/cam, although I can't speak to the difference compared to a stock motor assembly. I can say that if I can figure out, I'd wager any one can. Assembly is basically the same as stock, just some small differences on the cam for cam installation.

If you are not comfortable working on a motor from the bottom up then you might not want to tackle this project yourself. It is not especially difficult to rebuild but there are lots of parts and many tools required to make it happen. You can ship out the crank and cam to be worked on no problem. Like wood47 said, just ship it in a flat rate box.

There is more than enough information on this site to guide you through your quest. I think its a matter of workshop resources and confidence.

Not saying it can't be done, but a flat rate box doesn't seem like the best way to ship a crank/cam. Not much support, especially from just cardboard.. Easily dropped and bent. There goes your investment.

Go to a hardware store. Buy a plastic tool.box tote. Wrap crank up on a supliforous (big word, probably spelt wrong) amount of.bubble wrap. Same with cam. Tape said plastic tool nix shut. Print off shipping address to Hugh and your off to the races

Stolen from Hughs site.

"You can pack these into a USPS Large Flat Rate box and ship on the cheap (about $15 in the US), just make sure to add extra cardboard to the inside and corners of the box and you are good to go."

via USPS, HHB rephased my crank/cam and I did the engine assembly. It was my first ever full engine rebuild and, so far, no problems. Take your time and read, read, and read up some more! I ran into one issue with the cam but HHB resolved the issue without hesitation or excuse. very professional, personal, and prompt.

If/when I get my hands on another project, I'll be using HHB for as much as the budget allows, no doubt.

avenue in TX.

Back