RePhased XS Goodies!

I didn't think Hugh was doing complete engine rebuilds but I could be wrong. I contacted him a while back my impression was crank and cam building not complete engines.
TC

I didn't think Hugh was doing complete engine rebuilds but I could be wrong. I contacted him a while back my impression was crank and cam building not complete engines.
TC

If you talk REALLY sweet to me, then I'll build a complete engine. Im not taking any one right now though, as they are very time intensive and I'm slammed with all the other work you guys are giving me.. :thumbsup:

The cut and reweld method - I thought I first read it on your site punkskalar, must have but forgot where I read it.
BTW the cut off the lobe and weld it and grind it down method that megacycle uses is far from fool proof, I'm in nascar country, anyone that works in that industry on the machining side will tell you, weld is hardly ever perfectly solid, it has tons of pores in it. While it usually is never a problem, it also is harder than the base metal. Porus and hard, can you imagine what would happen if you had a bit of oil starvation. Neither of the porosity or the extra hardness is enough to cause a problem by itself, combine it with a lack of oil and the damage escalates.
I would not be welding my cams, I'm doing the cut and weld method. Of course if you want a different profile, you have no other choice but to weld.
Nascar people much like a lot of others make their cams from rod which is like cold drawn over mandrel. Much better material.
Cool.
Srinath.

intresting as my 2007 triumph is a 270 parallel twin. ( from the factory)

Correct,

Triumph are using 270 degree engines in the Speedmaster, America, Scrambler, and the Thunderbird. They are staying with 360 tradition with the Bonneville, and Thruxton.
So, they get 2 engines out of 1.

Yamaha started using a 270 degree crank in the 90's with the TRX 850, and now the 270 crank is standard in the TDM range.

Now Norton are realizing the benefits of the 270 degree crank in their new Commando, which is for sale for the first time since the 70's. They found that the 360 degree crank at 961cc was a bit rough, but good with a 270. Check out the different sound of the 270 degree Norton in this clip and compare it to the 360 degree Thruxton.

If you look at the link in my last post, the Norton Crank looks very similar to the XS 650 crank. Old Norton Cranks did not look like this.

I thought it was interesting anyway

Stewart

If I could just find a job, come winter I will be ready! Hell, it's so hot right now, the summer will be my future tear down time. Can't wait to get my parts to you Hugh.

Back