rephasing

Are you planning on doing this work yourself once the crank is split? There's a link somewhere on 650motorcycles.com that show how to split the crank with a couple bolts/nuts, but can't find it right now. Maybe someone else has it bookmarked.

Megacycle offers a cam for the rephased setup. Good luck with everything an be sure to post results.

Posted via Mobile

Well if its just for smoothness there is much simpler ways.....and the whole thing will last way longer and for about spending nothing and not have to smack your knuckles so much...ah what would I know.....youth has it advantages but not in the experience column...... :D......:banghead:

xsjohn

Last edited:
John, I'm curious what acn be done to smooth these things out. I'd always heard that rephased was the way to go, but it's a fairly big project. I'm open to advice on cheaper/easier methods.

Posted via Mobile

30 tooth rear and 18 tooth front. Lower compression. For starters. That's what John is going to say. (I am running a 30 tooth rear, but didn't wanna lose the guide on the front)

Standard factory compresson and engine timing does not do well at like 2000-2500 forcing you to rev it all the time........and when you do get it up where it want to go it gets tight and tense and vibrates like hell...above 3000 (won't even describe what happens a 4000..been there and done that.........move it to 8-1 and loose a couple of horses way up there where it is unpleasant and all the niceness of a normal engine emerges........oh everyone is all on the more..more... ..more thing and can't think out of the box........ah I built engines for 45 years.......if you want to race it who cares but if you want to ride it .....well then you have to make it work for what it is.....I dicked with these things till I was blue in the face..........screw all that hopped up crap....well at least if you want to enjoy it...or ride it any distance.....I don't even remember what I lost except the aggravation but I do know what I gained.....a bike I enjoy riding for a change.....you have to raise the head .040 thousands and change the cam back to factory timing because of it.....simple.....and no more engine racket ............

xsjohn

I haven't ran it yet. I have been waiting on some gaskets. I will however have an answer to you by next week. I have 2 funerals this week(end). So I'm going to be in Kansas and in Oklahoma.... (long way from home toto). So I will have to let you know.

Screw the guide....it sticks up higher than it should anyway.......and if by chance the chain touches the shifter shaft once in a while and jingles if you haven't adjusted the chain correctly then grind a bit off the shaft.........did that 10 years ago.......forgot about it till you guys.....it won't hit the clutch push rod ever either........xsjohn

Attachments

• Shift Shaft 18 Tooth.jpg
    Shift Shaft 18 Tooth.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 220
Well without the 18 it will be singing a tune on the express with that close ratio gear box........4th and 5th being so close to third........18/30 and mikes 5th makes them a traveler and a city folk if that's what you want.....went 18/29 before mixes gear was out.....and making the good hardened 29 is more expensive than mikes...........and if you gear it high forget the timing marks.....have to retard it some or it will get all cranky on the lower revs and tear it up.......or at least be aware of it an mitigate .......easy things to do really.........

For the long run 3rd and 5th dogs can come off and hose the trans.....so unless I'm turning I can ride in 4th which is solid and won't come apart...say 40 to 60 mph.....today I saw 4th at 3200 or so a 50 mph.....65 mph in 5th is 3500.........4th makes a great passing gear at that point.....suppose I could go to 3rd if I really wanted to F it up.....:laugh:

For tall gears ...retarded timing makes 1st gear pulloffs like a tractor too.....instead of all those revs...........:)

And as far as the 8-1..I may have lost some above 5000 pulling HP but the compression was preventing it from becoming a real work horse everywhere else where I am almost all the time............will never go back............screw all those 7k revs with the pressed crank.......what the hell was is all that crap anyway......when you are looking at the mountains 90 miles away...and have to ride back too......:banghead:

xsjohn

Attachments

• Gear Pairs.jpg
    Gear Pairs.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Heh. Lugging is no worry around here John. Cruising speed on the highway is 70-80 (130-140kph) Anything less and that "MACK" bulldog in your mirror is waaaaaaaay too close.

Hey mine will still go faster than I care to ride it.....maybe 95 mph ....just guessing....gave up my death wish long ago when I used to get paid for it...now I will probably just die a normal death or by strangulation or a bullet to the back of the head.....:eek:.....and you are still trying to get that thing of yours broke back in if I remember............:laugh:

xsjohn

I am *so* not comfortable riding faster than 120/70. Faster than that, i'm uncomfortably aware that i make an excellent sail. 100 is a breeze, 120 is a pleasant wind, 140 is a bit of a storm, and 160 is "i wonder if i let go would i float". I'm suspecting the answer is no to that. Not for very long, anyway. It's an excellent control system.

Break in: Well, sort of. Took the engine out, put rings in it, just about back together now.

If this doesn't work... F'it. Big bore comes early. Then *definitely* 18/30 on the sprockets. I did all the math, and think i came out to 3800 at 140, down from 5000.

I'll vouch for johns' 8-1 and retard. I was running 18/30 gearing but there aren't any interstates around here to jump on and off of, all hills and hollers. 75% of my riding is in 4th or shifting , just a few occasions to wind it out in 5th. I'm now running 17/30 and it works fine, sooo much better than stock- around 4 grand in 5th @ 55, 60 mph. Don't need to go any faster. Too many road hazards anyway- deer(dead and alive), 1 and 2 mile dead skunks, possums and squirrels.

Back