Replace electric starter

Petcha2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
EB460AC0-1EC2-43BE-A91A-A032C9956B45.jpeg
Hi, all:

I am new to the forum. Proud to say I recently purchased a 1977 Yamaha XS650 (shown above). Real clean, 33K miles, runs pretty well, but needs some work. That’s the fun part. Among other things, previous owner got rid of the starter and it is kickstart only. It starts OK with a couple of kicks, but my knees aren’t what the used to be and I’d like to install an electric starter. How difficult is this? I am a newbie with limited mechanical experience, but, now that I am retired, I have the time and motivation and would really love to learn to do some wrenching on my XS650. I have workbench, a reasonable collection of tools, and a nice garage space. Would love hear your thoughts about what’s involved to replace the electric starter, e.g. time, expense, level of difficulty.

Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom you might offer.

Yes, not too difficult a job, but make sure the starter has, indeed, been removed. Maybe the P.O. just disconnected it but left it in place. Look under the motor. You'll see it if it's there. It's a big electric motor, usually painted black, mounted at the bottom rear of the engine.

20FE9664-5E13-4BB3-80FC-FF7985C967D2.jpeg
Yes, not too difficult a job, but make sure the starter has, indeed, been removed. Maybe the P.O. just disconnected it but left it in place. Look under the motor. You'll see it if it's there. It's a big electric motor, usually painted black, mounted at the bottom rear of the engine.
Nope, starter motor has been removed...

Under the right body side cover is the start solenoid (relay). The positive battery cable goes to one post. The start cable to the other.

A 45 degree lean will keep from spilling the oil when you remove the engine side cover. I've used a couple of tires to lean the bike on with success.

0461229B-6F64-4F50-A273-284D1E816E50.jpeg
Not sure. Let me investigate. Nice to hear that maybe there is some good news under there. Thanks for your reply...
Is that the starter cable that I see? A good sign if it is.
Looks like a empty drainage tube more than a cable, and I don’t see any wires, but it does seem to lead to the battery? Could this be a starter cable?

Quite why people go kick only is beside me, I expect it must be even more macho if you remove all traces of the electric starter.
After all it’s not a very visible system, I’d leave it in place and hide the switch.

Perhaps the PO removeed the starter just because it went bad and didn't take anything out of the inside. Pulling the starter gear cover in your pic will tell if the inner parts are still inside.
On the inside of the cover are two gears, one engages the starter, the other the gear on a shaft that goes across the engine to the bendix gears. There the bendix gears engage a gear on the crankshaft.
Often when the starter is removed it's done as part of a rebuild and the builders don't want the starter after. When the engine is down they split the cases and remove the bendix gears, the shaft and the gear on the end as well as the gears inside the cover. Some even go so far as the remove the shaft the bendix gears ride on.
I hope yours was just a bad starter and the rest is in place.
Leo

30B32BE8-24E4-4BA9-9C61-51C123DD11DC.jpeg
Under the right body side cover is the start solenoid (relay). The positive battery cable goes to one post. The start cable to the other.

A 45 degree lean will keep from spilling the oil when you remove the engine side cover. I've used a couple of tires to lean the bike on with success.
Thanks for the tips. Probably a good time to change the oil anyway. Does image under right side cover show what you are referring to?

Perhaps the PO removeed the starter just because it went bad and didn't take anything out of the inside. Pulling the starter gear cover in your pic will tell if the inner parts are still inside.
On the inside of the cover are two gears, one engages the starter, the other the gear on a shaft that goes across the engine to the bendix gears. There the bendix gears engage a gear on the crankshaft.
Often when the starter is removed it's done as part of a rebuild and the builders don't want the starter after. When the engine is down they split the cases and remove the bendix gears, the shaft and the gear on the end as well as the gears inside the cover. Some even go so far as the remove the shaft the bendix gears ride on.
I hope yours was just a bad starter and the rest is in place.
Leo
Me, too. I’m going to drain the oil and have a look. I’ll get back to everyone about what I find. Thank you all for your insights...

Yes, the battery positive cable runs down to lower left corner of the square black end of the starter relay. You can see the small red/white and blue/white wires that trip the relay.
The upper right corner of that relay where the cable to the starter goes is broken off. Those relays can be found easy enough.
Same with the cable.
Leo

Back