1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Replace Tank cap seal with O-ring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blue900, Apr 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. blue900

blue900 XS650 Addict

I have noticed the O-ring on my Gas cap was deteriorating around the outside, So today while I was at the Hardware store I bought another one.
    I thought some may not know about this.
    Ace Hardware in the O-Ring bins O.D.1-3/4" X I.D.1-1/2" .69 cents

I have notice many of the replacement rubber parts are not the same as stock (durability wise).
    So I do My best to avoid them.

[​IMG]

2. Good'un!
    I've got a Special and a Standard tank that I like to switch out from time to time but only one gasket....been contemplating sending off for a second just so's I don't have to keep changing out the gasket (caps are different).

3. pyrocentric

pyrocentric XS650 Addict

Do you have any problem getting enough air in the tank to flow gas? Is there a pinhole somewhere in these old tanks for that purpose?

I'll probably do the same.

4. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

If you look at the pic you will see a hole in the center of the cap, between the three screws. This hole leads to a baffle up inside the cap. It then leads out between the metal lip the o-ring sets on and the part with the key lock.
    Leo

5. rywilly

rywilly XS650 New Member

Could you give me some idea of the screw that holds the gas cap on at the hinge? Got a cap for my tank but I am not sure where to begin to find the screw.

Thanks!

6. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

It's probably metric and just a little shorter than the space that it fits into.

7. rywilly

rywilly XS650 New Member

Wow, incredibly helpful... Found one on my own.

8. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    Has anybody checked to see how well it actually seals, e.g. turned tank upside down and see how fast it drains? Could be very important if the bike is on its side and you're there with it.