Replaced bad stator/rotor on TCI, bike won't start/backfire & kick back

natek

XS Obsessed
Reaction score
So I replaced my bad stator and rotor with tested known good parts on my 83 XS650 TCI motor. The wiring is complete and correct and the bike gets spark. Brand new battery and known good carbs. Now that I have replaced the stator and rotor (bike was previously running but had a wiring issue and fried the stator/rotor) the bike will not start. When kicked over the bike backfires through both the pipes and the carbs. There is also tremendous kick back when kicking over. The bike will attempt to start but backfires and will not fire up.

A few questions for troubleshooting;
-How do you check the timing on a TCI bike if you can not start the bike?
-How do you and/or is it possible to adjust the timing on this motor?

Any input is appreciated.

If you remove spark plugs and crank bike until piston is all the way at top of stroke, the cylinder that was blowing should be lined up with 'T' mark I believe.

Actually fixed it... will explain in a bit but for now to ride it home!

Here is the fix:
I was actually the one doing the work, but I had Nate create the thread on the problem to save me time.
What I did wrong was reverse the orange and the gray wires on the pick-up coil. I was trying to work fast, and I didn't think it mattered, since both wires have identical resistance. So, it sparked, but not at the right time. Lesson learned.

Thanks again for all the help, and thanks to DogBunny for doing a kick ass job as usual!

Back