replacement order 2 washers in clutch

I am Carbon

shade tree mechanic
Reaction score
I had to remove my clutch basket because it was installed incorrectly.
I have the washers on the backside of the 2 baskets corrected
The question is which is the correct way to replace the last two washers.
Sadly I've seen both ways :wtf:
Thanks in advanced
way one which is the way I removed them and I think is incorrect
full

Or way 2 which is the way I think is correct.
full

Hey, Carbon. Peanut and I just hashed on this in this thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37434

Oldschool mechanic's rule was locking tab type lockwashers always go against the nut, as shown in the parts fiche.
But, I also like having the lock tabs flat against the base surface, so the tabs will grip better.

If in doubt, follow the manual, I guess...

Hey, Carbon. Peanut and I just hashed on this in this thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37434

Oldschool mechanic's rule was locking tab type lockwashers always go against the nut, as shown in the parts fiche.
But, I also like having the lock tabs flat against the base surface, so the tabs will grip better.

If in doubt, follow the manual, I guess...

Yes Thanks I see that now I was over there earlier but missed it.
I think I agree with peanut on this one.
Thanks Man!

You guys do what you like, it's your bike after all. Just be aware that standard industrial assembly processes place a fold-up type locking washer directly under the nut it's acting upon, not below other washers. Place it below that other washer if you like, then fold it up and see how well it does its intended job (not very). Look at the other couple instances on your 650 where similar fold-up locking washers are used. No regular washer between them and the nut is there. But as I said, do as you like, it's your bike.

You guys do what you like, it's your bike after all. Just be aware that standard industrial assembly processes place a fold-up type locking washer directly under the nut it's acting upon, not below other washers. Place it below that other washer if you like, then fold it up and see how well it does its intended job (not very). Look at the other couple instances on your 650 where similar fold-up locking washers are used. No regular washer between them and the nut is there. But as I said, do as you like, it's your bike.

Well now :D It will be a cold day in hell before I go against Your advice on an XS650
pic 1 it is.

Honestly, this is the proper way. Place the lock washer on the bottom and tighten the hub nut down. The locking tabs that fit into the hub will get squashed and splayed outward. That should tell you right there that the washer is too close to the hub and needs to have a washer under it. I should have piped in on that other thread but I figured I'd just let the Sawzall crowd dig their hole deeper, lol. I'd rather not see you drop into that abyss.

thanks 5twins , you saved me form possible disaster.
The 2 examples I had here were installed incorrectly.
Until You explaned to me the in is a foldup lock washer I didn't get that.
The one on this engine was not folded up around the nut, and the other one is installed backwards and the tabs that lock into the clutch boss are used as the folding tabs around the nut,LOL which I will be fixing that too.
So with a large THANKS!Man!
this evening i will be reinstalling the plates.

Back