Replacing a Cylinder Sleeve (How To)

While researching for a friend on replacing cylinder sleeves, I ran across numerous mentions of just heating the cylinder and the sleeves will just fall out. Since I have a 20T press, I'd offered to press the sleeve out for my friend... but the idea of just using heat intrigued me. And.... having a spare set of jugs just layin' around.... well hell... lets give it a shot.

For this exercise, we're just removing one sleeve, so I used a couple washers and some safety wire to hold the other (left) one in place.... In retrospect, it's probably a good idea to washer and safety all the stud holes.

View attachment 120513

I set a few pieces of aluminum in the oven and set the jugs on that, positioned so that the sleeve would just fall out when it got loose enough. It didn't fall out (as it has for others) so if I had a do-over, I'd just set it on the oven rack.

View attachment 120514

Set the oven at 250F. and let it heat for 15min. Removed the jugs and set them in the sink. A gentle push was all that was required and the sleeve popped free. Grabbed the other side of it and a few gentle twists.... and out it came....

View attachment 120515
View attachment 120516

All things considered... it probably would have been quicker and easier just to use the 20T press, but this how-to is for someone who doesn't have access to a press but does have an understanding wife:whistle:

Just for s&g's, I went ahead and did some measuring while it's apart.

View attachment 120517
View attachment 120518

As you can see, there's slightly over 2 thousands interference at room temperature. OK, time to put it back together..... I made a box to set the heated cylinder assy. on.

View attachment 120519

The inside dimensions of the box are 3.5" X 8.5". The sleeve is cleaned and oiled, ready to go back in. Also sitting there at the ready is a hammer and block of wood for "persuasion" if necessary (it wasn't).
I set the cylinder back in the oven at 300deg. for 30 min. The reason I went 300 was because at 250 the sleeve was still a slight interference fit, so I wanted to find out how a higher temp. would work. After 30 min. I set the cylinder on the box, set the sleeve over it... and it just fell in with a resounding "thunk!"

View attachment 120525

So, in retrospect, 300 should be the target temp. for removal and reassembly.
Conclusion: This task is easily doable by anyone with an oven and an understanding wife.... or one that's out of the house...;)
Why do this? Easy, there's tons of old cylinders out there where one cylinder is almost pristine and the other is ruined because it sat for years with the valve(s) open. Two sets of those cylinders can be easily turned into one good set without the hundreds of dollars it would take for machine shop fees and oversize pistons and rings.
EDIT: As the cylinder assy cooled (but still hot to the touch), I noticed the sleeve was sitting a little proud of the cylinder. A few sharp raps with the wood block and hammer and it set down flush.
I set the heat on 500°F so I don't have to wait 30 minutes.

Back