Replacing all screws and nuts with stainless

pythonregius24

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi. I'm in the process of reassembling my engine. I noticed some of the old screws and nuts are rusted. I decided i would like to replace all of them with stainless. Is it possible to find all shapes and sizes on stainless steel? If so, how do I find the sizes of each screw and nuts?

Most are standard metric but some are the J.I.S. type. Those will be more difficult to match. J.I.S. fasteners use the same thread but the heads are usually smaller. What comes to mind in particular here are the acorn nuts. Standard metric replacements will usually be taller and may use a larger wrench size. The center set of numbers in the Yamaha part number will provide the size and length for many of the screws and bolts, as shown here .....

LeftCover.jpg

Most are standard metric but some are the J.I.S. type. Those will be more difficult to match. J.I.S. fasteners use the same thread but the heads are usually smaller. What comes to mind in particular here are the acorn nuts. Standard metric replacements will usually be taller and may use a larger wrench size. The center set of numbers in the Yamaha part number will provide the size and length for many of the screws and bolts, as shown here .....

LeftCover.jpg

Interesting! Thank you!

Personally, I don't replace any of the side cover Allens unless the threads or head is physically damaged. I like the look of polished cases with black bolt heads so I simply paint the original Allen heads with barbeque black.

RightSide.jpg

Last edited:
Just a little caution, stainless is generally of a slightly lower strength than graded steel bolts. On the order of 10 to 20% less, it's not easy to get a "perfect" answer on this. So consider that in critical areas.
(says the guy that used stainless allen heads on his front rotor)

Stainless rules. I use it on all my builds; luckily I have a bunch of hardware stores that carry lots of stainless. I usually use Elliots.

If you need a 10x1.25 polished button head, I know of a person who makes these and will sell one by one.

just remember that stainless and alum don't mix to well.make sure you use anti seize
if you don't you may not get the bolts back out down the road,also the s/s bolts don't seem to hold the torque too well ( I have broken s/s bolts torquing to spec.) I don't know if it a lower grade bolt or the anti seize. most bolts torque spec is dry ( no lube)
just some thing to think about.

Isn't stainless also hard as heck? As in, it'll strip into aluminum threads like butter?

Good for chasing threads sometimes.

I've bought a couple of stainless sets off of ebay. I just had a great experience with http://www.stainlesscycle.com/. There site doesn't have the xs650 listed, but I'm sure if you call/email they would put a set together.

The set I got was for a cb750. All the bolts were in separate bags labeled for each cover. That was really helpful. Every other time from other sellers, including MikesXS, I just got a bag of bolts and no idea what went where.

Back