Replacing valve guide seals

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
It looks like the grey smoke I am getting is oil ingress because of worn valve guide seals. This is my first contact with valves. The haynes manual I have isn't particularly detailed. I am going through various threads, but what I would like to know is:

QUESTIONS

1. Is there a definitive How To guide for replacing valve guide seals?

2. Do I need any special tools I should get ordered?

3. Any advice in general.

Anlaf

Last edited:
replace-valve-seals-engine-1.2-800X800.jpg

Looking at this you can pretty much figure out how to do about replacing them.

- You need to compress the valve springs to take out the keepers on top.
- Valve retainers now free to go, then springs also out.
- Now detach the guide seals (or stem seals) from the guide and slide them out, put new ones in.
- Reverse the sequence for installation and you're done.

Search around for different methods on compressing the springs though, unless you already have a spring compressor tool.

Thanks, fellers. The schematic does help a lot. I don't have valve compressors, but I'll pick those up - are they generic tools, these mysterious and wonderfully named valve spring compressor tools?

And Deadchef, executive decision on the in or out thing - my bike (you might be able to make out on the avatar - I must put some shots on the forum section) has enough clearance to lift of the head.

Anlaf

well imho i would pull the motor. couple reasons, 1 it looks like you have a decent paint job and maneuvering around trying not to scratch it may be more trouble than it's worth, and 2 who knows what else needs attention. has the front cam chain guide been replaced? more than likely if it's original it will need replacing.

I was thinking exactly on those lines, Deadchef. I have a second engine I was keeping for a winter project. That's already out of its frame - I may do that, swap, then the other. Which ever way, you are right, fiddling about trying to get a cam chain in line and back in place while banging my head is not ideal.

Anlaf

Last edited:
Caution just did valve seals on intake and exhaust on left cylinder - it was burning oil and fouling plugs. Seals were not the problem - I now suspect head gasket, next winters project. Still burns oil. Will do rings too. My compression was 145 both sides that is why I thought seals.

Anlaf,

I'm sure you can find many examples of home-made and off-the-shelf valve spring compressors here on the Forum and elsewhere, but here is what I used in addition to a 6" C-Clamp.

A Pipe Fitter I know took a piece of 316 stainless steel pipe, made 2 long vertical cuts and then 2 horizontal cuts to make the 2 "windows", then he TIG welded on a washer for the clamp contact side. He did some grinding to clean off some of the sharp edges.

To help fish the 2 collets (keepers) out, I used a small telescoping magnet which nicely grabs them.

Attachments

• Valve_Spring_Compressor_1.jpg
    Valve_Spring_Compressor_1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Valve_Spring_Compressor_3.jpg
    Valve_Spring_Compressor_3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 327
  • Valve_Spring_Compressor_2.jpg
    Valve_Spring_Compressor_2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 501
Back