Reproduction mufflers

Fullcircle

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am getting close to finishing the restoration on the 72 but my stock mufflers are rusted out. Does anyone have experience with the reproduction mufflers you can get from MikesXS or XS Direct?.

I am getting close to finishing the restoration on the 72 but my stock mufflers are rusted out. Does anyone have experience with the reproduction mufflers you can get from MikesXS or XS Direct?.

I would be curious to know that myself. I remember your bike, how did it come out? I’d love to see it! :)

How is the sound? Is it comparable to the originals? Their price is pretty salty for those mufflers. I could do a full custom exhaust for just about the same that they want for the mufflers.

Bought a pair on sale many years ago think they've gone up 2 or 3 hundred since, better investment than the stock market, LOL
They are still in the box, one of these days....

Typo. Did you get excited?:doh:
250D3CC6-6F33-49F0-AADD-87E3B1F4DA43.jpeg

I have them on my 72. I used the stock headpipes and bought the mufflers. That was about 8 years ago and all is good. Cant say if the quality has gone down but probably not.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I will order a set. I was able to save the stock head pipes and have them rechromed, mufflers are beyond repair after sitting for 30 years.

I would be curious to know that myself. I remember your bike, how did it come out? I’d love to see it! :)

Work is coming slowly. Need a new master cylinder, lines and caliper kit. Will be ordering from XS Direct with the exhaust. Then clean and paint the switches and housing's. Final assembly will be fairly straight forward, I hope.

I need mufflers for my '72 XS650. Did you buy the ones from Mike's XS? If so, any comments suggestions etc.?

Hi Fullcircle,
as with fitting any aftermarket muffler to an XS650 just be sure it connects to the headers' inner exhaust-carrying tube, not the outer chromed one..
My son replaced his 1980 XS650 Special's stock exhaust system with one from MikesXS 10 years ago. Still looks nice.

Back