Resto-mod '74 update

Pat D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So we're in the 99% done, 99% to go stage at this point. I got the right side carb straightened out, the missing "C" clip for the slide needle was under the plastic washer. Replaced it and had good idle. Today it was acting up again, took it apart and found some crud floating around the bowl, blew it out and confirmed the other passages were clear. Need to get it out on the road for a real test.

During these short tests w/o the tank, an oil leak has developed. I see no evidence that it is coming from either the clutch pushrod or output shaft seal, it seems to be coming from one of the nut/stud combos on the bottom of the case. Drips pretty good when hot, nothing when cold. More investigation needed.

Bodywork on the tank dents has gone as far as I can take it. Went ahead and shot it in primer to look for any obvious flaws or ridges, found a few minor ones and touched them up. Did a quick wet sand to find any thin spots, it'll get another coat and wet sand before color. Looks like we'll have some dry weather for spraying soon enough.

The side covers came out pretty good, wet sanded to 3000 then hit with compound, I may do 'em again to get rid of a few cloudy spots on the curves and edges, but I may be being too picky.

Also located a sidestand, and still need to find one passenger peg/muffler mount(can't remember which side right this instant). Rigged up a half-assed hinge point for the seat that avoided any welding or drilling, just a little heating and hardening(I only have gas torches at the house, no wire feed toys)

Hope to be road testing/shake down under final paint by end of the month. This place has been a world of help, and reduced the learning curve immensely. Thanks to all!

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 83
Looking good. You will have a fender or brace of some sort up front I hope? Because without it when you grab that single front disc hard, it's "twisto-flex" time, lol.

Aye, the fender is standing by, no plans to run w/o one, just not on yet. Got the clutch adjusted last night so it engages and disengages w/o drama, even found neutral with no issue while it was running. Maybe beginners luck, or just not warm enough to be an issue.

There is one tiny bit of welding to be done- the left side front foot peg mount stud at the rear of the mount has stripped threads. The non-threaded portion of the stud that the cushion bears on is rock solid, so I'm thinking that sawing off the damaged threaded end and welding a new threaded portion on will work fine- all the load in that case is tension, no shear.

I've also been told that those fork braces are a very worthwhile investment, so I'll be keeping an eye out for one.

Back