Retroness

Grimmith

Samurai
Reaction score
Any one on here play any video games in their spare time? I mean obviously spare time can go to the motorcycle work, but for me I enjoy a break from the frustration every now and again lol. I'm re-playing the zelda series as I did when I was younger. Anyone play that? mario? Etc?

I play mike Tyson's punch out and jackal on my old school Nintendo. The last vid system I got.

I occasion play Mario with my kids. Of course they are 10,14 & 15. There are many other games I play with my son on his Xbox. For me it’s all about spending time with him doing what he likes. He turned 10 yesterday and lives primarily with his mom, so I like having a common interest with him. We also ride bikes together when it’s nice out. I’m trying to incorporate some of my interests and the things I grew up with in the 80’s, but I’m a very analog man trying to hang in a digital world. It’s hard to relate to the kids when you can’t get them off the couch or off their phones.

SNES over here lol. I know what you mean willis, I knew and understood how I grew up and didn't want that for my son. He was playing chess with me before he knew what fortnite was lol. I also raised him on the importance of books and how great it is to read, etc. Idk if it's good or bad, but I kind of "shit talk" video games and staring at screens to him most of his life growing up. What it can do to you, what it WILL do to you. I tell him that people that stare at a screen all day everyday playing a game will grow up a loser with nothing but sadness in his life unless he actually attempts to do something more with his life and go see the world. I explain very thoroughly that no matter how good at a game he is, no matter how well you do at the game and achieve so much in it, get so many things.....its all worthless if their is no power in the house, and none of it is in the real world. It's worked so far, he wants to play instead of video game, which is only twice a week lol. Same as you though, sometimes Mario, sometimes Minecraft, because i know that helps with basic creativity and somewhat mechanical engineering skills if you get into it lol. May introduce him to zelda, but I don't want him addicted :laugh:

He works with me on my bike sometimes, but not so interested in that yet haha. We do underwater exploring together with a drone (yes apparently they have underwater drones, who knew? o_O) He wants to "discover things know one had discovered". So i showed him underwater exploring lol. go me.

Actually it's crazy, we went exploring and I almost drowned in freezing water getting the drone we just got that came unraveled from the tether lol:oops:. it was in november ,I walked out, swam to it, swam back....the rest is just shitty lol but I made it home with him just fine, no hospital for this guy. :D

I agree about the mechanical aspects of Minecraft. I have another good one called Trailmakers. It's just a one person sandbox game, but he has to create vehicles to explore with. It is similar to a Lego style building blocks, but he has to design engines, thrusters, suspension and steering. He has already gained some mechanical understandings that I am quite surprised at. My son is on the ADHD spectrum, but he can play for hours just creating and doing R&D work finding what works and what doesnt. I have denied multiple requests for fighting games like HALO, Fortnite, Call of Duty... etc. Although I recently took a harder look at Fortnite and may loosen my restrictions on that as it is not a gory shoot 'em up type of game. I am just very apprehensive letting a 10yr old play online with people he doesn't know. He is still a bit naive, and I'd like to try and keep it that way a little longer.

SNES over here lol. I know what you mean willis, I knew and understood how I grew up and didn't want that for my son. He was playing chess with me before he knew what fortnite was lol. I also raised him on the importance of books and how great it is to read, etc. Idk if it's good or bad, but I kind of "shit talk" video games and staring at screens to him most of his life growing up. What it can do to you, what it WILL do to you. I tell him that people that stare at a screen all day everyday playing a game will grow up a loser with nothing but sadness in his life unless he actually attempts to do something more with his life and go see the world. I explain very thoroughly that no matter how good at a game he is, no matter how well you do at the game and achieve so much in it, get so many things.....its all worthless if their is no power in the house, and none of it is in the real world. It's worked so far, he wants to play instead of video game, which is only twice a week lol. Same as you though, sometimes Mario, sometimes Minecraft, because i know that helps with basic creativity and somewhat mechanical engineering skills if you get into it lol. May introduce him to zelda, but I don't want him addicted :laugh:

He works with me on my bike sometimes, but not so interested in that yet haha. We do underwater exploring together with a drone (yes apparently they have underwater drones, who knew? o_O) He wants to "discover things know one had discovered". So i showed him underwater exploring lol. go me.

Actually it's crazy, we went exploring and I almost drowned in freezing water getting the drone we just got that came unraveled from the tether lol:oops:. it was in november ,I walked out, swam to it, swam back....the rest is just shitty lol but I made it home with him just fine, no hospital for this guy. :D

I haven’t played a video game in about 15 years and spend all day creating things with my hands but I can say your mindset towards video games is very out of touch.

esports as they call it - top players earn in the multi-million dollars for prize purses alone. That doesn’t include things like sponsorships and endorsements (yes they got that stuff for videos games too).

it’s a different world out there.

Years ago, hard-core gamer.
VR FPS (virtual reality first-person-shooter), flight sims, ...etc.

All this stuff is 20+ years old.
ShopComp.jpg

Been so long, not sure if any of it works anymore...

My 10yr old son has aspirations to be a professional you-tuber. While I know they certainly can make a lot of money, who’s to say that platform will still be viable in 8-10 years.

Years ago, hard-core gamer.
VR FPS (virtual reality first-person-shooter), flight sims, ...etc.

All this stuff is 20+ years old.
View attachment 184749

Been so long, not sure if any of it works anymore...
The Smithsonian called..... they want their monitors back.... :laughing:

I've got emulators for Nintendo, SNES, Gameboy, and Playstation 1 on my laptop. They're great when I'm traveling or just want to take a trip down memory lane. Ken Griffey Jr on SNES is still the greatest baseball game ever created.

What are emulators?

without getting all technical, it's the ability to play a video game (not all video games) on another machine to which it wasn't made for. Each game system like Nintendo, Sega, Gameboy, etc. each have their own emulation software program. The "video games" for these consoles are referred to as ROMS in the net world.

Example. I play Nintendo 64 Mario on my Sony PSP, I can also play Zelda for Gameboy, Gameboy color, Gameboy advanced, and N64 on my surface pro 4.

You can also apparently get an emulator for Xbox 1 to play N64 games lol I'm going to look into it this weekend.

Back