Returning bike to stock ignition.

Great work!
Per the manual:
Mount the governor (centrifugal advance) unit in it's housing. It can only fit one way as there is a notch in the back of the unit that must line up with locating pins. Next, screw the ring nut onto the camshaft end until tight and then use a punch and hammer to completely tighten the ring nut.
No thread lock or torque value is spec'd.
advance assembly.jpg

There I'm not JUST a smart ass.
Your tool is a very good solution, from my hammer and punch work I can tell using a reasonable torque with that tool will resort in a better tight than awkward, angled, one spot hammering will give.

Last edited:
Your advance assembly looks pretty dry. Did you lube the advance rod up good, pack the bushings in the ends of the cam full of grease? Also, the whole advance unit plate is just raw steel and can rust. I lightly coat the whole thing with oil. Not a lot, just enough to make it shine.

1979 xs650F its a standared.

What's going on is I am returning the bike to stock ignition and centrifugal advance after removing a Pemco.
fiftynineab, this is very interesting and so good to see happen.
Approximately how many miles are on that engine ?
The cam chain and mechanical advancer condition , lube, and adjustments may be key to your points setting. I actually enjoy the points setting challenges and believe once set according to timing light readings, your XS will be reliable !
Big fan of keeping it stock here !
-RT

Great work!
Per the manual:
Mount the governor (centrifugal advance) unit in it's housing. It can only fit one way as there is a notch in the back of the unit that must line up with locating pins. Next, screw the ring nut onto the camshaft end until tight and then use a punch and hammer to completely tighten the ring nut.
No thread lock or torque value is spec'd.
View attachment 144629
There I'm not JUST a smart ass.
Your tool is a very good solution, from my hammer and punch work I can tell using a reasonable torque with that tool will resort in a better tight than awkward, angled, one spot hammering will give.
Thanks for you help!

Your advance assembly looks pretty dry. Did you lube the advance rod up good, pack the bushings in the ends of the cam full of grease? Also, the whole advance unit plate is just raw steel and can rust. I lightly coat the whole thing with oil. Not a lot, just enough to make it shine.
Will do this good tip.

fiftynineab, this is very interesting and so good to see happen.
Approximately how many miles are on that engine ?
The cam chain and mechanical advancer condition , lube, and adjustments may be key to your points setting. I actually enjoy the points setting challenges and believe once set according to timing light readings, your XS will be reliable !
Big fan of keeping it stock here !
-RT
19,000. Miles

The convertion back to stock continues. Can I use this coil or should I put the two separate original coils back on.

Attachments

• 20190705_101541.jpg
    20190705_101541.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 146
I’ve installed a couple of Pamco’s and I know they couldn’t run with two single coils, they required a dual output coil such as that one. I’m gonna guess that the stock points set up will require two separate coils , the way it was originally set up from the factory.

yup two coils or a double bump points cam. Mikesex used to have one but I didn't find it today when I looked.
Never tried it but seems like I remember you could feed both sets of points to ONE dual tower coil.....

If I had my shop manual I could probably figure this out. And I've done a couple of Google image searches before asking. Lol where is the stock mounting location for the condenser. I realize I can mount it anywhere as long as it's grounded but thought it would be a good idea to put it back where it came from.

Yes, that looks right. Original mounting location for the condenser "pack" was the back side of the left top motor mount. It's kinda hidden from view once mounted. There were also a couple wires, and orange one and a gray one, with double female bullet connectors on one end, a single on the other. One condenser wire along with the orange points wire plugged into the orange wire, other condenser wire and gray points wire plugged into the gray wire. Their single ends connected to the orange wires on the coils, orange to left coil, gray to right coil.

kdvXTdb.jpg

Even if you could hook up your Pamco dual output coil, it wouldn't be the right resistance for points use. You need about 4 ohm coils for points. The Pamco coil is only probably 2.5 to 3 ohms. The points would burn up real fast using it.

Yes, that looks right. Original mounting location for the condenser "pack" was the back side of the left top motor mount. It's kinda hidden from view once mounted. There were also a couple wires, and orange one and a gray one, with double female bullet connectors on one end, a single on the other. One condenser wire along with the orange points wire plugged into the orange wire, other condenser wire and gray points wire plugged into the gray wire. Their single ends connected to the orange wires on the coils, orange to left coil, gray to right coil.

kdvXTdb.jpg

Even if you could hook up your Pamco dual output coil, it wouldn't be the right resistance for points use. You need about 4 ohm coils for points. The Pamco coil is only probably 2.5 to 3 ohms. The points would burn up real fast using it.
Thanks. Also
1. is there a black ground wire coming off of the coil going to the Head?
2. The two coil wires one from one coil one from the other they hook up to the red and white wires in the wiring harness?

Attachments

• 20190705_125134.jpg
    20190705_125134.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 20190705_125229.jpg
    20190705_125229.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 111
Back