Review of some parts purchases from MikesXS

Bought some knob assemblys for the metal side covers. The hole for the roll pin was going the wrong direction so the knob ended up being vertical instead of horizontal when locked down. A small thing but annoying.....they sent me some replacements right away.

Update: They sent the same wrong parts again. Add another item to the don't buy from Mike's list.

I bought the same side cover knobs which end up vertical when latched. Decided it was
tolerable even though it seems to be a stupid Chinese mistake!
Could drill new roll pin holes at 90 degrees to existing ones, but it would weaken the knob shank. Decided to live with it. ALL CHINESE PRODUCTS SUCK!!!

I order from Canada's MikeXS affiliate xs650direct.com

Ordered quite a bit from them and everything has been good so far, aside from stuff being out of stock and not knowing when it will be back in stock.

I've purchased a brand new caliper to replace my seized XS2 caliper and have been struggling with my front caliper to bleed it for awhile now. Something hit me tonight and I pulled the caliper apart only to find that there was no o-ring between the two halves of the caliper. This allowed a small amount of air to continually leech in the system.

Not happy with this since I now have to purchased a complete o-ring kit to fix something that should have been there to begin with.

I ordered some new carb boots as mine had some cracks, not all the way through but figured it was time for new ones. The ones from Mikesxs would not mate to the motor well and always caused air leaks, and the barbs where off and I need to cut new slots for the boot holders. Since then I go with 650 central, he actually will talk you through the procedure and not upsell you on anything, he saved me 60 bucks and out of his pocket! Genuine guy!:thumbsup:

These are the ones I found to have problems:

Screws for "points" ignition.................thread was too short

Throttle shaft screws..................wrong thread

Carb intake manifold barbs..................rubber cap splits within a year

Carb intake manifolds........................very poor fit, do not seal well causing high idle and chirping

ATU bob weights spring..................tension is not correct as compared to OEM
These are the ones I found to have problems:

Screws for "points" ignition.................thread was too short

Throttle shaft screws..................wrong thread

Carb intake manifold barbs..................rubber cap splits within a year

Carb intake manifolds........................very poor fit, do not seal well causing high idle and chirping

ATU bob weights spring..................tension is not correct as compared to OEM

Well Here is one to add to the list ! The Chrome bolts in their Upper end Dress up bolt kit, that screw into the front of the cylinder block are 1/8 too long and they force the front cam chain guide inward making the chain so tight it takes 12 ft lb to turn over the engine by hand with the plugs out. I corrected by reusing the old ones and now it only takes 4 ft lb to rotate the engine. It caused me to tear it back down.

The fitting for the bottom of the oil pipe can be bad, I'm guessing poor quality control. This one my buddy got couldn't even be used the threads were so poor .....

OilPipeFitting.jpg

WOW - that looks pretty bad. It certainly wouldn't be able to thread into the mating part without damage.

Pete

There are never any follow ups to bad parts, or good ones for that matter............That 5twins pic is 5 years old. Parts that are rated good yesterday may be poor tomorrow when the new shipment of parts come in.

I see in a post today 5twins has found fault with Mikes Fuel lines. Up till today he has been advising the purchase of these fuel lines.

We will see an improvident in the next 4 years............

Petcock screw washers...
MikesXs on the left, OEM (boats.net) on the right.
The Mikes broke as I was threading them on the screw and leaked like a sieve. Junk.
OEM worked perfect... of course

IMG_1306.JPG

Swingarm bolt sleeve
Original on the right, MikesXs on the left.
Mikes is 1 mm shorter and subpar quality. Add this to their oversized brass bushings and you will not have enough of the sleeve protruding to pinch between the swingarm, which is needed.

IMG_1214.JPG

Petcock screw washers...
MikesXs on the left, OEM (boats.net) on the right.
The Mikes broke as I was threading them on the screw and leaked like a sieve. Junk.
OEM worked perfect... of course

View attachment 93625

The exact same thing happened to me this past summer.

I wasn't sure if my mikes XS washers had failed due to age or they were they just junk to begin with (I had purchased the replacement tank & petcocks about 6-8 years ago and they sat on shelf until august).

Luckily, I had pulled the tank from the bike and did a test with only a small amount of fuel. Both sides leaked like a sieve.

Swapped out to Yamaha ones and everything was all good.

There's been several reports of MikesXS advance shafts being too short, and binding in the camshaft. Finally got around to comparing a MikesXS advance shaft to 2 of my OEM '71 XS1B advance shafts.

AdvanceShaft.jpg

I show a length difference of 0.026" (0.7mm). My stock endplay is about 0.020", and this shorter advance shaft does indeed bind.

The bearing area diameters all measured right at 12.00mm (0.4724"), so that's OK...

If you want a complete advance unit (ATU, governor), you have to buy MikesXS advance shaft along with their ATU offering, because the ATU comes without the center slotted disk. The disc is pre-affixed to their advance shaft.

The MikesXS disc is a sintered metal casting, compared to the OEM machined billet. The slot is a bit smaller, which could be a good thing if you're looking to reduce slop from worn weight ears.
XS650AdvanceDiscs01.jpg

Of course, you'll need to closely inspect the condition/quality of the new disc's slots. This comparison to an OEM disc shows the rough surface of the disc's slots, and a *dinged* corner...
XS650AdvanceDiscs02.jpg

Back