Review of some parts purchases from MikesXS

This information relates to the rubber dust seals for 34mm forks. I installed a set of MikesXS dust seals (P/N 27-1066) on my 1976 XS650C and they were completely shredded within about 18 months.
27-1066.jpg

Soooo...this morning I installed a set of OEM Yamaha dust seals which are still available from Partzilla.com (the new name of Boats.net). The ordering information from Partzilla (and the OEM part number) is:
SEAL, DUST 584-23144-50-00 and they are listed as: In Stock for the princely sum of $14.30 each (you need two of them).

MzY4ODMw-cc8fa2ea.jpg

You can tell the difference between the Yamaha OE part and the aftermarket item by looking for the ridges around the OD of the seal. The Yamaha part is smooth while the aftermarket item has ridges (compare the photos above).

I'm sorry to say that this seems to be yet another case confirming the folly of buying anything made of rubber from an aftermarket supplier. They simply do not get these parts right.

Pete

Did any 650’s come factory with fork gaitors? Want to put some on my 75 but I know quality varies a lot in those aftermarket units too.

Last edited:
I recently purchased (within the last month) the MikesXS Old Style Tank Badge for "Specials". they look real nice and gave it a look I liked. However some gas spilled on one when filling, just a small amount on the tank ran down onto the badge. The gasoline had a bad reaction with the plastic and developed what look like stress cracks in the badge. It really looks awful. I contacts MikesXS and they said they have not heard of the problem. They said it's not something they will cover under warranty. The badges cost $30 on sale plus shipping.

I purchased a cafe style seat from, MikesXS. it's a real good looking seat. However it arrived in box that looked like it had been thrown across the room. It had a big dent in the box and the seat pan was slightly dented on the back end. This is not MikesXS's fault but seems they could have packed it better. I straitened the seat pan myself with my fingers. Later I noticed that the chrome strip on it had come loose in two places, in a place unrelated to the for mentioned dent. I removed the strip and it looks good without it. The strips are attached very poorly and look cheap. I did not contact MikesXS about this because I expected no support based on the badges discussion above. I think I will get a vinyl repair kit and fill in the little hole for the strip attachment bolts.

I purchased a clutch lever bracket because my old one was really worn. It's not expensive and not a big deal but the pivot bolt was the wrong length, too short, so when tightened it would make the lever unmovable. I used the original pivot bolt and it worked fine with it. The old bolt shoulder was a couple millimeters longer than the one from MikeXS. I figure that this is poor quality control. I did not contact Mikes because I fixed it myself and because of previous support on the badges. However had I not had the old parts I would have been in a tough spot.

Otherwise I have purchased several other small parts from MikesXS and been generally pleased.

MikesXS looks like a good parts resource, but I will be careful what I buy from them in the future.
Don’t buy from MikesXS. Everything I bought from them now I’m stuck with. Examples: Key switch. Loose and cheesy. Rear brake lever rod too short and wrong size diameter. Top end nuts are nothing like OEM. Master cylinder for XS2 will not work. No mount for electric brake switch and has a perch for a mirror. They told me “ What a lot of guys do is....” Nuff said. Taiwan junk.

I bought some rubber items from Heiden too and they were crap to be honest. I bought the same stuff again from Yambits at Boroughbridge near York and the stuff they sold was far better quality. I see they are advertising more stuff for the XS 650 now too.

.this morning I installed a set of OEM Yamaha dust seals which are still available from Partzilla.com (the new name of Boats.net). The ordering information from Partzilla (and the OEM part number) is:
SEAL, DUST 584-23144-50-00 and they are listed as: In Stock for the princely sum of $14.30 each (you need two of them).

Pete
MaxPete, I think you bought 35mm dust boots from Partzilla. The 34mm ones look like this:
https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/278-23144-50-00?q_ref=278-23144-50-00

74/75 has a different part no to the 76............they changed from a ribbed to a smooth.......less thrill...........your both right
Part #13
74/75...................................76
74 TXA-75XSB Parts manual091.jpg xs650c-parts-list 080.jpg

Years back Mikes was a pretty good source for things that were a little difficult to find, plus it was all in one place, so to speak. I too have had several items purchased in tha last 4 years that simply were not up to snuff IMHO. It's almost as if the reproduction/knock-off business is now mostly done by apprentices, without much supervision.
I like the feedback for Yambits in the UK, as well as Heiden Tuning. It's just a shame to need to go that far, when it should be here as well.

Also really disturbing to read about a member here feeling they have been ripped off by them. Hope that gets cleared up fast.

It sounds like the company that bought out Mike's and moved them from Brooksville, Fl to Tampa might care more about profit dollars than
repeat business from loyal customers.

I haven't skimmed through this thread very far, but was recommended to share an unfortunate experience of the insulating/ pivot plastic on both my breaker points from Mike's XS melting and my bike dying while riding on the highway in 90 degree direct sunlight. I was incredibly fortunate to have had happen only several blocks before entering the Holland Tunnel into Manhattan from New Jersey during morning rush hour traffic.

The saga can be followed here: http://www.xs650.com/threads/melted-breaker-points.55147/

Reference images of damage to the faulty parts below:

Attachments

• 9D8A9701-156A-4795-8CF9-3EB82F455A4C.jpeg
    9D8A9701-156A-4795-8CF9-3EB82F455A4C.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 013DA219-5623-460B-997F-995A35450FE3.jpeg
    013DA219-5623-460B-997F-995A35450FE3.jpeg
    704.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 499F25F3-DDB2-49CD-A4BF-E5D1F63F93CD.jpeg
    499F25F3-DDB2-49CD-A4BF-E5D1F63F93CD.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 87
  • FAD57C89-8EAE-4FC2-A140-E8679C16428F.jpeg
    FAD57C89-8EAE-4FC2-A140-E8679C16428F.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 85
Does anyone have experience with Mikes replica early “baseball bat” mufflers? I love the look and sound of the xs2 exhaust but am apprehensive about Mikes. I saw one comment in this thread that they aren’t as loud as the factory units.

Does anyone have experience with Mikes replica early “baseball bat” mufflers? I love the look and sound of the xs2 exhaust but am apprehensive about Mikes. I saw one comment in this thread that they aren’t as loud as the factory units.

I would be interested to know that too. :thumbsup:

Mikes has evidently been through at least 4 sets of 'hands' now, that I can recall. When I first stumbled onto them they were a paper catalog only outfit. Good quality bits, at least the ones I bought were. Then when they went internet based the quality seemed pretty stable still. I think it was a couple of years back and Randaks took over both Mikes and Z1 Enterprises. If you get their periodic flyers in your email mailbox you will have noticed that I suspect.
But the latest batch of stuff I got had a Dime City Cycle receipt, so it may have changed hands yet again.

For me at this point, I am starting to pull back from them, as I was not impressed with the set of pistons/rings I got for a '74 I rebuilt 3 years back, primarily the difference in sizing, which surprised me and the machine shop. So far they have held up, but I don't beat on it. Going to stick with OEM for important bits for now I think (and I would actually say that points and such are, indeed, important bits). Just sayin'.:twocents:

I stupidly bought an exhaust system from mikes, it’s supposed to be a standard xs1 style to fit later models, I saw positive reviews on here before I ordered it so was confident it would be OK, when I opened the box I was stoked with how it looked, then when I went to fit it the brackets that came with it didn’t fit, I could fit them on the bike but then the bolt holes wouldn’t line up on the mufflers, I tried them every which way but no go, ended up making my own, I have had the bike back on the road for about 2 months now and have been commuting to work 3 to 4 days a week, there have been a few rainy days but mostly dry riding, if it’s really wet I take the train or drive, the head pipes already haves rust spots coming through the chrome and there are rusty patches showing through the chrome around the welds on the silencers, I’m pretty annoyed/disappointed, I sort of had doubts before I ordered them though so I’m annoyed at myself too.

Back