1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Rewind your own Rotor.....Who to buy From

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 650Skull, May 3, 2018.

1. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Got this off 650Rider a couple of days ago and as there has been some discussion in a couple of threads i thought i would post this up and maybe this can be the start of a rewind thread

Right click on file.......Open in new thread........full size to read.......If you can't do that or doesn't work that way for you guys with phones, let me know and i will re-post in full size or re-post as a word post
    Rotor rewind01.jpg Rotor rewind02.jpg Rotor rewind03.jpg Rotor rewind04.jpg Rotor rewind05.jpg

Llinks to reputable rewind services
    Custom Rewind...2014 Pratt Hwy Birmingham AL 35214.........(205) 798-7282
    http://businessfinder.al.com/850071/Custom-Rewind-Birmingham-AL
    Note: Custom Rewind uses heaver gauge winding wire making the Rotor measure at 4 ohms
    From this thread http://www.xs650.com/threads/another-rotor-thread.50481/#post-523673

A Caution buying from just any old seller..........A lot of good info on Rotor Run out in this thread
    http://www.xs650.com/threads/dead-rotor-best-options-to-fix-replace.36211/#post-372778

For you Aussie Guys.......Brisbane area. Will do all Aus. Likes Photos of the Rotor if you want a true Quote........No Problems and Clean Rotor, about $150.00
    Autolec SAL Rewinds
    29 Albion St Sunnybank
    Mobile 0412 462 149
    20180128_144938.jpg 20180128_144952.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  2. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Excellect info, Skull.
    325 feet of 22 AWG solid strand (0.025"), works out to 5.25 ohms.
    WireGauges_6-24.jpg

Paul Sutton, gggGary and 650Skull like this.
  3. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    Scatter winding can be better than pretty winding where fields are involved, so might not need extreme care as long as it all fits on.

Paul Sutton likes this.
  4. 650Skull

Extract from the above tutorial.......................As the first layer is done just start back the other way letting the wire lay in the groove created on the first layer --/-- Measure the diameter of the coil and verify that it will fit back in the housing. If not you may have to unwind and rewind tighter or neater.

Paul Sutton and gggGary like this.
  5. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    That feels like a whole lot of wire to get on there successfully. I've often wondered if regular auto electric shops could wind a rotor. If there are auto electric shops anymore. I once had one rewind an MGB alternator. They did fine. It was the cheapest thing to do. Perhaps the rotor could benefit from more durable modern insulation coating.

gggGary likes this.
  6. TwoManyXS1Bs

Ohboy, math.

If you figure on a nominal core diameter of 2.5", that works out to about 500 winds. Using rough numbers here, 500 winds would show a cross-section of 25x20 strands. At 0.025" wire size, that's a 5/8" x 1/2" core. Should fit.

If going to 20 AWG (0.032"). Would need 500 feet of that to get 5.1 ohms, making about 750 winds, a 30x25 core, of about 1" x 3/4". May not fit.

If doing a 4.0 ohm version of that 20 AWG, would need 400 feet, making about 600 winds, a 25x24 core, of about 7/8" x 3/4".

I'd want to paint epoxy on the thing simultaneous with the winding. Solid, no voids...

7. FB71

FB71 Expert Turd Polisher

Exactly what I was thinking.

TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.
  8. FB71

I've even considered spending the coin to try this. Aisin Warner uses a rectangular cross-section wire for the AC inductive traction motors in e-CVT hybrid vehicle transmissions. The less air gap, the more concentrated the magnetic field...

http://mwswire.com/magnet-wire/square-magnet-wire/

gggGary, Jim and Paul Sutton like this.
  9. FB71

gggGary and Jim like this.
  10. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

What epoxy to use? I've seen high temperature rated epoxies separated from the rotor and strewn all over the place on "Custom" windings before. Just any epoxy is not going to last. Anyone that can wind an electric motor can rewind a rotor, the epoxy and its application is the most important part. And......an epoxy that can withstand any solvent that might be used to clean there like contact cleaners, WD40, brake cleaners, etc.

Scott

gggGary and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  11. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton I Collect Fingers XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I am currently running a rewound rotor from B B Bikeshop in the UK:

BB Bikeshop Ltd
    Unit 20 Chiminage, Blowhorn Street. Marlborough. Wiltshire. UK. SN8 1BW
    Phone: +44 (0) 1672 512240
    Mobile 07502549736
    Fax: +44 (0) 1672 514143
    Email: info@bbbikeshop.co.uk

The resistance was bang on the Yamaha specification at 20 Celcius. After adding on the cost to post my rotor to them the total came to £108. The rewind looked good with a plastic former and a very tidy epoxy job. These rotors come with a 1 Year Guarantee. They also do rotors and stators for other bikes as well.

Ask me in a year how it is doing.

Edit - See: http://www.xs650.com/threads/rewinding-or-replacing-the-alternator-rotor-in-the-uk.51650/

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    gggGary and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  12. TwoManyXS1Bs

gggGary and FB71 like this.
  13. 650Skull

Added the For Sale link.

Jim have you thought about Adding the rotor sales to the Shop section?

gggGary and Jim like this.
  14. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Not sure why I never noticed the shop section before..... yeah.... I'll put it there too.

gggGary, Scripto VU and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  15. 2XSive

2XSive At least one screw loose behind the handle bars XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Michigan
    I'll put a plug in for Jim. He's shipping my rotors back soon and I have no doubt they'll be top notch. He kept me (and this site) in the loop on how he was doing as he made progress on both tooling and on my personal rotors. If you look at any of his threads you'll see his OCD (his words) dictate the level of quality and thoroughness I could only hope to achieve when working on my own bikes. No, he's not paying me for this plug, lol. Buy from Jim!!!

Oldfartaussie, Meddy, gggGary and 2 others like this.