Rewinding or Replacing the Alternator Rotor in the UK

Paul Sutton

I Collect Fingers
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Two years ago my rotor was at 4.5 Ohms. Last week when I checked the resistance had dropped to 3.8 Ohms. I know of a place in the UK where they rewind rotors and stators. They usually have the XS650 points and electronic ignition version rotors rewound and ready on the shelf to exchange. The place is B B Bikeshop:

http://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/

Unit 20 Chiminage
Marlborough
Wiltshire SN8 1BW

I made the purchase on their website for approximately £101 including p+p. I posted my rotor at 4:30pm Wednesday 1st Class Signed For and received my replacement on the Friday morning - Quick!

NewRotor.jpg

I thought the rewind looked very good with the outside of the coil wrapped with fiber glass tape and well coated in epoxy. The contact rings were sanded clean and the rotor had been cleaned of any significant rust.

I have measured the resistance at close to 20 Celsius and after subtracting the value for my leads I get 5.3 Ohms. The specification is 5.25 Ohms +/- 10% at 20 Celsius.
Note: It is important to make this measurement as close to 20 Celsius.

I have just reinstalled the rotor and started the bike up and did not hear any big bangs or electric crackles. What I did notice was the bike voltmeter was showing 12.5V at 1200rpm and 14.0V at 1500rpm. This is an improvement of between 0.5 - 1.0V on previous reading.

Rewound Rotor: Total Cost = £108 including my postage costs.
1 Year Warranty
New Rotor received within 48 Hours of posting mine to them.

I am very please with such quick service!

Last edited:
great write up and excellent link Paul .
I was going to say 'ouch thats an unexpected kick in the wallet but its actually a really good investment isn't it.

Mind you I'm hardly one to talk... last night I rashly bought a spare reconditioned pair of 78 BS38s off ebay for £130. ! luckily my partner will be away when they arrive in the post ...ahem cough .
Must remember this time to also hide the packaging :)

great write up and excellent link Paul .
I was going to say 'ouch thats an unexpected kick in the wallet but its actually a really good investment isn't it.

Mind you I'm hardly one to talk... last night I rashly bought a spare reconditioned pair of 78 BS38s off ebay for £130. ! luckily my partner will be away when they arrive in the post ...ahem cough .
Must remember this time to also hide the packaging :)
Never done that before.. (koff)

Back