Good afternoon!

If anyone needs a rotor look no further than Jim! His rewinds are top notch. I couldn't believe my rotor was the same one I sent him, because it looks brand new. It ohm tested at 5.6 and now my bike is charging.

Thanks again Jim!

Attachments

• 20210607_150050.jpg
    20210607_150050.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 156
I just received my 'NEW' rotor from Jim. We worked out a trade (couldn't imagine me having something that Jim wanted :umm:) Anyway, I don't need a rotor now, but now have one for a spare. I still owe Jim my core whenever I get around to changing them out. I couldn't be happier Jim said he is also okay with the trade.
Thanks Jim, :cheers:

Jim hooked me up with a rewound for my 1981 project. That was the final piece to the puzzle.
The cost was reasonable and the rotor is a fine piece of work.
My battery is holding a charge and things are working quite well.
You can count on that his rotor is the right one for your bike.

I'll be ordering one this season.
I have decided on the stock system with a crank trigger. Of course I'll have figure out the 277.
I love that one can add quality to their bikes utilizing parts from other forum members.
Whether simply the sourcing of used parts or arranging for special parts or services made by other members. Your rotors are as legendary in these pages as your painting. Always top notch quality. The decision became a no brainer.

I'm hanging out my shingle....
Band of Brothers Rewinding Service is open for business (thanks Bob:D)
You can read here all the work that went into getting to this point.

Send me your rotor. If it's a serviceable core, I'll rewind it with TEMCo MW0181 22 ga. wire. Run-out will be tested before and after rewind and the rotor will be static re-balanced. It's reassembled with new stainless screws, loctited in. The coil is epoxied in place with hi-temp JB Weld. Yamaha calls for 5.25 Ω +/- 10%.... So... 4.725 to 5.775 Ω. Your rotor will fall within that range. I'm getting 4.75 to 5.2 Ω on my rewinds with a nice strong magnetic pull.

Here's what it costs... $105 and you pay shipping both ways. I now ship 'em in a flat rate envelope... $9.30 anywhere in the states.
That's about 1/2 to 2/3 of the going rate for a rewind. Here's why.... first, I'm retired. I ain't doin' this to make a living. This gives me a little spending money while giving something of value back to this wonderful XS community.
Second... I'm retired (did I mention that...:rolleyes:), I don't do anything in a rush anymore. If you're in a hurry, better go to an alternator shop... I'll be 'bout a week or two.
Third, a shop that does this for a living can afford to absorb the loss of redoing your rotor for free if you burn up the rewind.... I can't. My guarantee is that when I ship it, it's passed my run-out test, it's balanced and it puts out a magnetic field that will snatch a large combination wrench out of your hand. Hell, I'll even send you a video of it. What I won't do is rewind it again on the house because you installed it in a faulty charging system and promptly burnt it up again.
So... if you're running an old weak battery that burnt up you first rotor... it'll burn this one up too.
If you're running the original antique mechanical regulator that's stuck at full charge and burnt up you original rotor.... it'll burn this one up too. If the iggy switch has a large voltage drop across it.... well, you get the point (I hope). I'll reserve a few comments below and add some useful links and stuff to check before you replace the rotor.
One last thing, I'm not rewinding aftermarket rotors... OEM Yamaha's only. If you're not sure, PM me with a few pics and we'll sort it out. If you send me a repop, it's going in the trash.. and you're out the shipping. If it turns out your rotor is not rebuildable (rare, but it does happen), I'll split the cost to ship it back if you want it.
This is on a first come, first serve basis. PM me and we'll go from there.

Periodically I'll put a rotor up here for sale outright. They'll be $130. If you send me a rebuildable core, I'll refund a $25 core charge back to you.

Question: Which rotor can I use on my bike? OK.... here's an easy way to remember it (for everyone... I get lots of PM's asking this)....
If you're running Yamaha's original Transistor Controlled Ignition (TCI) system, you have to use an 80 or newer rotor with the trigger magnet. Other than that, any year bike can use any year rotor... be it the old or new style. Original points, Pamco... HHB, Boyer.... rolled your own from your Briggs and Stratton lawn mower:rolleyes:.... doesn't matter... ANY ROTOR will work. Yamaha TCI? You have to have the rotor with the magnet.

PLEASE READ THIS!! Mikes XS sells a rotor puller for a very reasonable price. Amazon also carries 'em. Get one! I'm up to 3 cores now that failed the run-out tests. All 3 showed signs of being pulled off the crank with a 3 or 4 jaw puller... that or some pry-bars.:doh: They're bent.... well past the point of being usable. Send me a core with "pry-bar" marks on it and it's going in the trash. (Edited: 5/11/19)
Because of gggGary's generosity, we now have a loaner puller. Send me a $20 deposit via Paypal and I'll send it to you to pull your old rotor. When I get it back (still serviceable), I'll refund it. (Edited: 1/1/2021)

View attachment 136915

I'm now set up to rewind the Honda DOHC CB750, 900's and 1000's from 79 to 83. Cost is the same as the XS rotors. If you know of a Honda guy in need, point 'em this way. :D

View attachment 158308
EDIT: 1/16/21
Due to a recent misunderstanding :rolleyes:.... I need to reiterate that these are 40+ yr old rotors that have been rewound. If you're expecting to get a rotor that looks brand new, go look somewhere else... these ain't them. The slip rings have accumulated some dings over the years. I dress them down flush so they don't interfere with the brushes, but you can't just make 'em disappear. They are flush though... they won't hurt a thing. If you don't like that, don't buy one... simple as that.

View attachment 182844

If you're not a member here, you can contact me at airframedent@gmail.com
Make this post part of your service contract. I could not help but smile at your guarantee and conditions. Good that you demand performance from customers. Cheers

@kshansen
I am not even certain of the core I have. I need to pull it out and look but I seem to remember thinking that whoever had done the "rebuild" had buggered it up. I am hoping that I will be able to work it out with Jim whatever it is. I may need to purchase another. Need to move this up on my list

Back