RH cover leak

This is my first bike actually. I'm kind of a youngster (25) up against you seasoned vets! I checked the threads before I put the cover back on and they looked ok, didn't see any shavings on any of the bolts when I pulled the either.

Sorry Rossness - tiny little correction here: we may be seasoned vets but you're not up against us son. We’re with you and on your side.

Just go slowly, ask questions and wait for the signs....:bike:

Pete

PS - and for god sake - keep that Sawzall away from your bike!!

Last edited:
Update: I ordered the copper washers from Mike's and put them on all bolts below oil level and my filter bolts, however I still have a leak. The Athena gasket I bought is slightly bigger than the cover and sticks out about 1/16" out of the bottom of the case. I tried wiggling and repositioning it multiple times and it always ended up like that. Not so on the top, only fraction of it is visible and only because it is bright green. I torqued all bolts to 7 lb/ft, but I know spec says 7-10. Should I torque up to 10 to see if that stops it? The previous bolts were overtorqued and were impossible to get out so I'm trying to avoid that at all costs.

Also it seems to be dripping out of the bottom of the case, but I didn't replace my oil filter gasket. No oil on the cover under there so I don't think that could be it, but I'm no master mechanic. Thoughts? Help? Wisdom?

NO - do not over-torque the fasteners.

My suggestion would be to order a tube of Hylomar Blue gasket sealer. I haven't yet found it in a store, but it is readily available on the web - and it can seal just about anything. Other folks may have a better suggestion - but that's my input.

Anything is better than stripping a threaded hole.

I don't use those thin, slick, green Athena gaskets. You can find the OE type on ebay flor a reasonable price, and that's what I'd recommend. But if you want to try to make the Green Meanie work, there's an old-time product that's still on the market called Gasga-Cinch. It's a nonhardening gasket cement used to hold gaskets in place during installation. You might try using it to hold your Athena gasket in place and see if that helps. One thing you do not want to do is to gumpucky the cover to the case. Whatever you use, apply it to one side of the gasket only, unless it's a gasket dressing made for easy release.

Just reinstalled the side cover with the old gasket, no leaks after 4 miles....
Will mention allen tools don't last forever the end gets rounded over time. In a pinch I'll grind the end of the allen key back aways for fresh edges. Hand impact on screws that are fighting you. first loosen a smack or two then tighten a smack or two if it doesn't start moving. If they really fought me a #0 oxy acetylene tip will get that allen head nice and hot.
I used a VERY thin coat of Hylomar both sides, smearing it on with a q-tip seems to work well. That's my go to gasket sealer. Will soon get a chance to see how Hylomar comes off as I have a set of barnett springs coming. with those and ippytatto's 8 plate clutch conversion It shouldn't slip now.
Ordered these also,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Pcs-Cop...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 would have prefered 2mm thick, but I'll use these on the next cover install.
a PO had some hacked up hardware store brass washers on the all the bolts and still had some leaks. one thread where the oil line goes in the cover is a bit sketchy. taped it up good with teflon and will keep my fingers crossed. Also replaced the tach drive seal while I had it apart. That tach washer was just laying in the bottom of the cover along with the nut that holds the gears on the oil pump. :yikes:
pics are with the hylomar already on the surfaces. Did I mention THIN?
DSCN8728.JPG DSCN8727.JPG DSCN8729.JPG

Gary's pics nicely illustrate the eat-off-it clean sealing surfaces you want. If you don't properly and completely clean off any remnants of old gaskets and/or sealer, you'll never get it leak-free. I've used several different brand gaskets on this cover, including the Athena, and all have sealed fine. I don't use any sealer either, just coat them with motor oil. When you use a brand new gasket, no matter what brand, you may need to re-torque the screws in a few days or after a few heat cycles due to new gasket compression. Don't go any tighter on the screws than you already have (7 ft/lbs). In fact, that's tighter than I make them. I only use 80 in/lbs at most, and lately I've started backing that down to the low 70's.

Yes, the Athena gaskets are over-sized and will hang out in spots. That's about my only bitch concerning them though. They've always worked fine for me.

Back