Riding Gear Tip

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
For fellow ATGATT types - Kevlar reinforced cargo pants with knee armor for $72!!

Brosh is an Israeli company that (among other things) sells Kevlar riding gear. They're a Supporting Vendor on the FJ-09 site I hang out on.

While I always wear a helmet, armored jacket and gloves, I've been putting off finding some summer weight pants due to cost. I do have a pair of Tourmaster pants but they're WAAAAY too hot for warm weather riding.

Give these things a look. I got a pair and I'm very impressed, especially at the price.

Fit - sizing is right on. I wear 38 waist 32 inseam jeans and the cargo pants fit perfectly. Perhaps just a whisker long in the legs, but that's a good thing for riding and fitting over boots. 10/10 on the fit.

Quality - Initial impression of materials and workmanship is very good. Zippers and velcro closures appear to be of excellent quality. Sewing and seams all look good. Belt loops are well spaced and fit my gun belt well (I carry when I ride).

Comfort - Fit is generous in all the right spots, armor pockets and inserts work well. Very comfortable when seated, knee armor stays in place without any pressure points - basically goes unnoticed. Cargo pockets are well placed and roomy without being bulky. Likewise with the traditional front and back pockets. Weight seems a bit much as you handle them, but is not noticed when wearing them. Material seems quite wind resistant yet was comfortable in 80° weather.

Other - An unexpected benefit is that the material doesn't slide around on my Corbin seat like the regular denim jeans I usually wear. I expected the problem to be worse (in fact was a tad worried about it) not better. I feel much more planted in the seat. Kudos!

http://www.brosh.com

I liked their dummy drag test. Pretty convincing.

Occasionally.... a Ruger Security Six .357 Mag..... the long barreled sucker

In the Winter (not riding, obviously) I alternate randomly between an S&W Model 66 .357 (I like wheelguns...) a SIG P220 in .45acp or a 226 in 9mm.

I haven't voluntarily left the house unarmed since Bill Clinton was President. Had two jobs that it was a firing offense so I left them in a strongbox in the vehicle...:sneaky:

Nice pants. Might try a pair...
I take along a CZ75 PCR Compact or a Kimber Micro9 in a Fobus (another Israeli company) OWB paddle holster.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try out the pants. I have a full face helmet, kevlar armored gloves, an armored jacket and some "ok" boots. Armored pants are something I really need to add, but it gets HOT here in the summer so this sounds perfect.

Did you say that you ordered the same waist size that you normally wear? I usually wear a 34 and was ready to pull the trigger when I noticed the bit about "we recommend that you order 1 size bigger than your normal relaxed pant size".

What does it mean when your hardware is "stoked" with something?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try out the pants. I have a full face helmet, kevlar armored gloves, an armored jacket and some "ok" boots. Armored pants are something I really need to add, but it gets HOT here in the summer so this sounds perfect.

Did you say that you ordered the same waist size that you normally wear? I usually wear a 34 and was ready to pull the trigger when I noticed the bit about "we recommend that you order 1 size bigger than your normal relaxed pant size".

What does it mean when your hardware is "stoked" with something?

Yes, I ordered the US 38 size. I wear them as pants over a pair of padded bike shorts, NOT over another pair of pants.

Occasionally.... a Ruger Security Six .357 Mag..... the long barreled sucker
I have one of those in stainless, with medium barrel, either 4" or 6" don't remember. Appreciate the transfer bar for the hammer. Rubber aftermarket grips.

I have one of those in stainless, with medium barrel, either 4" or 6" don't remember. Appreciate the transfer bar for the hammer. Rubber aftermarket grips.

Both of my S&W's, the PP and the 220 have Pachmayr rubber grips. LOVE those things. I tried a set on the 226 but with the double-stack magazine it was just a hair too wide to be comfy.

Mine is the same brand. It wraps around the back and has some finger grooves in front. Very comfortable and good looking.

When I got the pistol years ago it had rosewood grips on, and the original checkered grips in the box. There's a metal half moon on the inside of the rosewoods that fits into the frame and keeps them from turning and after a couple shots one broke off and the grip would turn. I've been meaning to glue it back for about 30 years :). I didn't want to put the checkered grips on because they looked unused, so I couldn't really shoot it. Then I was at a gun show and saw these on a table and thought wouldn't it be nice if those were for a Security Six, and looked at them and they were...

What I like about this model revolver is the firing pin isn't attached to the hammer. When the hammer goes back a bar comes up between the hammer and the firing pin to transfer the hammer blow to the firing pin. At rest, the hammer can't touch the firing pin. I had a S&W once on a hike with a lot of stuff strapped on to me and as I was taking it all off somehow my holster turned upside down and the pistol fell to the ground and I was looking right down the barrel as it hit the ground. Don't really know what will happen if you hit a Smith on the back of the hammer. Surely there's something there to prevent the firing pin from hitting the primer in that situation. But maybe not.

Last edited:
Usually an S&W Model 60 stoked with .38SPL +P
Occasionally a Walther PP in .380

Hi Downeaster,
I was raised in the UK and now live in Canada, where the cops will bust you for carrying too big of a pocket-knife, let alone a handgun.
So I wonder, is "carrying" just an insurance thing, like always wearing a helmet when you ride and always landing on your arse when you fall off,
or have you ever had to deploy your weapon?

Hi Downeaster,
I was raised in the UK and now live in Canada, where the cops will bust you for carrying too big of a pocket-knife, let alone a handgun.
So I wonder, is "carrying" just an insurance thing, like always wearing a helmet when you ride and always landing on your arse when you fall off,
or have you ever had to deploy your weapon?

The subject of armed citizens is often very divisive. I hope the mods will forgive me for a bit of 2nd Amendment proselytizing, and that those among us who have opposing views will either let it be or at least keep it civil.

I have never had to unholster, or even display, my weapon, and I fervently pray that I never will. I carry for several reasons, most if not all of which may never come to pass, but I believe in Being Prepared.

In no particular order:

Better to Have and not Need, than Need and not Have.

Cheap Heroin and homemade Crystal Meth have a significant presence in rural Maine. A meth lab was busted two towns away just last Summer. The crime that inevitably comes with drugs is an issue here.

Aggressive and/or rabid animals are an issue. I have dispatched injured or suspected rabid animals tho not in an emergency situation.

While certainly NOT of the Prepper mindset, I do feel that an EMP event is a distinct possibility and if I'm caught away from home by one, the walk home will be a non-trivial exercise.

We have a significant local population of aliens, not all of them legal and not all of them Altar Boys. To my knowledge, the only incidents so far have been amongst themselves, but the threat is real.

Having said all that, I'd like to add that "Owning a gun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." I have had extensive training in small arms both military and civilian, and was for some time a Certified Small Arms Trainer for for law enforcement personnel. For my last 2 years of active duty in the Navy one of my collateral duties was as Small Arms Trainer and Range Master for military security forces.

The point of the foregoing being, I DO NOT approve of people with zero training or experience being able to buy a gun, strap it to their butt and carry it around just because they can afford it. At the very least they need to be aware of the legal consequences of the use of Deadly Force.

I could go on, and am willing to offline if you wish, but I don't want to take up a bunch of bandwidth here. Nor stir up a hornet's nest.

Followed DE's advice and got a pair of these pants. They are awesome. Really comfortable, fit great. Good airflow. No more riding in jeans for me.
Oh and I usually wear a 34 waist and the 36 fit me perfect.

Back