Riggs Performance Grind Re-Phased Camshafts

Ok, I read the link, that all makes sense, but I'm not sure what numbers I should be shooting for?

Ok, I read the link, that all makes sense, but I'm not sure what numbers I should be shooting for?

Which cam are you running?

All you really need to know is the lobe center specs. The lobe center (intake and exhaust) on a stock 447 cam is 106 degrees. For the stock 256 cam it's 100 degrees intake, 99.5 exhaust. On the Shell #1 it's 100 degrees intake and exhaust.

I'm planning on doing the 277 rephase, but at this point will be using all my stock internals. So yes stock cam. So correct me if I'm wrong, but that means the cam should be at full lift 106 degrees from the respective cylinders TDC?

I now offer a reground cam with the specs of the early model (256) cam. It's the same deal as the Shell #1 cam I offer. It's $100 if you send me your cam, and I'll re-phase it for another $100. You will need to degree the cam before running it. The lobes are ground to preserve as much of the base circle as possible so the sprocket may need to be reset to time it correctly. Yes, that is more work, but I guarantee you will not get a cam that is so over-ground that there are no threads left on the adjusters for the lock nuts.

The 256 grind is a great street performer. Better punch than a 447 and better longevity than a Shell #1. Plus, you can run the stock valve springs.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but that means the cam should be at full lift 106 degrees from the respective cylinders TDC?

Yes, the cam SHOULD be at full lift but it doesn't always work that way. It's better to calculate the lobe center [based on the open/close events] than it is to try and measure it directly. To calculate the lobe center; add the open event to the close event then add 180. That gives you the duration. Divide the duration by 2, then subtract the event closest to TDC.

For example, the intake events for a 447 cam are 36 BTDC and 68 ABDC.

36 + 68 + 180 = 284
284 / 2 = 142
142 - 36 = 106

Depending on what lash and valve lift you used, your events and duration may be completely different than above. However the lobe center should calculate out the same.

Are the 447 rephased cams still available? are they the ones you drill and dowel or are they just cut and welded together?

Are the 447 rephased cams still available? are they the ones you drill and dowel or are they just cut and welded together?

I am not doing cams at the moment but plan to offer them again when I get caught up on some of my shop projects.

My other hobby is old machine tools. I've drug home a bunch of them and have been fixing them up one at a time, then using them to fix up the others. When I finish the one I'm working on now I will retool the cam operation to take advantage of the "new" machines.

All of my re-phased cams are machined, not welded.

I'm interested in a performance rephased cam. I'm lost when it comes to getting my cam degreed though. It makes sense to me that you need to degree it but sounds like a head ache. Is there anyway you could degree it for me?

I'm interested in a performance rephased cam. I'm lost when it comes to getting my cam degreed though. It makes sense to me that you need to degree it but sounds like a head ache. Is there anyway you could degree it for me?

There is no way to account for deck height, gasket thicknesses, camchain stretch/wear... All of this changes the height from the crank centerline to the cam centerline. That difference in height can and will change the degreein'g of the camshaft since the chain is a fixed length. I degree ALL XS650 cams, it's a bit confusing, but not too hard to do really...

So really there is no drop in performance cam. I'll have to read through that link of doing the process and see if it clicks more. This my first project that I'm really doing extensive engine modification so some of this is pretty new to me. Thanks for the reply Hugh I'm still planning on getting my crank done when I pull my motor apart. If I'm going to do a rephase I would like a better cam. I like the best and this can be a good and bad thing in life. Like never getting your bike done haha.

The closest drop in cam you will get is the OEM Yamaha one if installed using OEM gaskets etc..but even they might not dial up perfect.

Does anyone have a video of a rephased motor with the shell #1 cam?

Id like to hear that thing

Mr. Riggs,
Sent you a PM about a week ago, just wondering if you still have rephased cams for sale?
Let me know,
Thanks

Back