Right cylinder not firing.

NeopolitanSliceCream

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I replaced the valve seals on the right cylinder. And some other minor work, and got it all back together.

Now its not firing

I've got compression, fuel, and I seem to have spark, swapped 2 different plugs, cylinder still cold.

Reads a tiny bit rich? Not too sure.

Checked timing with light and it's on the money.

I'm not sure what to do now? Maybe something stupid I'm missing.

Also, valves were set correct before starting, 6 and 4 thou.

But I'm letting it cool overnight and I'll go back at it tmrw.

How much compression? Are both sides equal?

Clip about 1/2" off the plug wire at the cap. I have found the wire and the cap gets corrosion which leads to arc down the insulation. The plug will fire laying on the head but will not under compression. Found on two 650s and on a Triumph myself.

Clip about 1/2" off the plug wire at the cap. I have found the wire and the cap gets corrosion which leads to arc down the insulation. The plug will fire laying on the head but will not under compression. Found on two 650s and on a Triumph myself.
I'll try that, they're good ngk wires and I think they're fairly new, but I'll try that tmrw and see if it does anything. Thanks,!

Well, think I got it figured out. Damn near cut my finger off in the process🤣 about 4 stitches and a couple ounces of blooded later. Come to find out it might've just been a shitty plug all Along. I grabbed another plug that I hadn't tried yet and both cylinders fired right up. Only had it running for a bit, but I'm gonna go back again and investigate more when I have time. Seems to be back strong. No more burning oil🙏

Back