Wanted - Right side engine case cover (clutch)

GeorgeOC

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hello all, looking for a right side clutch cover. I rebuilt a motor, previous to my buying and rebuilding, the running and leak status unknown. Its been sitting after assembly in the frame, for about a month now with fresh oil as I sort out the electrical to try and start'er up. I discovered a tear drop of oil under the right cover seam. Its persistent sadly. I have replaced the gasket, cleaned the surfaces to medicinal levels so far to no avail.

I think I need to try another cover... Might anyone have one in good shape, need to part with? My motor is a 76', but any year will do.

Thanks!
George

Hi George:

Others may differ, but I would suggest trying some sealant on the gasket. I have used RTV (you can get a tube at a Ford dealerships), YamaBond (Yamaha dealers), HondaBond (Honda dealers) - but the best stuff is called Hylomar Blue.

A tube of Hylomar is around $17 USD - but it is well worth the price IMO. This stuff was developed by Rolls Royce for use in aeroengines and it is remarkable. It never hardens and seems t be impervious to darned near anything inside or outside of an engine.

Pete

Thanks Pete! I was wondering about that. From all the reading I have done, it seems conventional wisdom is to avoid sealing the case cover. But if the only reason for that is make replacing the gasket easier, or getting into the case for repairs etc, I think I'd like to experiment with sealing it. There's enough of a drip happening now that I dont even want to think about the mess once the engine (hopefully!) is running...!!!

If I was to run down some Blue Hylomar, would you apply to the cover, the case, both?

Thanks again for the help!!!

Are you able to put your side cover on a piece of glass and check its gasket edge for high spots or flatness ? Perhaps a slight warp or blemish can be remedied by "sanding" with emery on a surface or a stone file, carefully keeping flatness in mind..

Thanks TM, I had though of that... I did put the cover on a piece of glass... But I wouldnt consider the piece I had up to mil spec.. ha! To my naked eye, all looked well. The first gasket I had was an Athena, from 650 Central. The replacement was an OEM Yamaha. I was hoping that might solve it. No luck...

Only seal one side of the gasket. smear a bit of heavy grease on the other side. I might sugest sealing the cover side it's easier to scrape gasket up on a work bench. Yamaha used some sealer on that gasket where the top and bottom of the cases join front and back. Also all the lower (below oil level) cover allen screws have (had) copper washers.

Thanks gggGary, that makes sense. I'm going to Hylomar this baby up. I will report back. Thanks guys!

Doesn't necessarily mean I wouldnt look for a cover still. Thanks all!

Try a small airport with a maintenance hanger George. Those guys use this Hylomar stuff all the time.

Pete

So fellas... I found this video below from Hylomar Limited, on youtube. Pretty straight forward clear instructions for application of the product. The presenter mentions 'metal to metal' several times...

Question... In the case of the XS650 side cover, would you leave the gasket in the system??? I can't imagine this location without a gasket, but then again I am just an amateur!

Last edited:
agreed - use Hylomar or some other sealant on the "cover" side and keep the gasket. Gaskets are there to take up minor imperfections in the fit of components and so I like to use them.

Pete

Circling back... Hylomar is in the system now... Lined the cover side, followed the Hylomar instructions. Nervously optimistic... I am 3hrs into refilling with oil, and no indication of a leak yet... Fingers crossed! Thanks again everyone...

There's a hollow dowel in the screwhole below the kickstart shaft. If it's missing, there's a chance that the cover will shift during kickstart, and start leaking...

Back