RIP this one

weaselbeak

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
408133847.jpg

408133837.jpg

This is what disgusted looks like. I built this thing when I was enduring back issues, and did not want to have to hold a bike up with a weak right leg giving me trouble. I am satisfied with the comfort, the full wheel cover look, the motor is dialed in pretty darn good. Of course these things are never done. It pulls slightly to the right. I have tried every trick in the books, been all over trike forums getting advise. I've staggered air pressures, adjusted the dimensions of the "triangle", changed rake, etc., even to the point of making radical changes. No matter what I've done, it pulls slightly to the right. It might not bother some people, and I ride it around locally OK, but after awhile I start getting shoulder sore from corrective steering pressure. Everything is plumb and laser true. Basically, this just p*sses me off to where I have decided to cut the back off and return it to 2 wheels, ala a hard tail chop. If I ever try this trike thing again (back issues have been surgically taken care of for now), it will be a bigger engine, and a driveshaft. I can't believe how much easier it is to do a driveshaft project, anyway. I will leave it alone for awhile, but it's days are numbered till I get other stuff done and the urge to start.

Well sorry to hear that, I guess 2 wheels is always better:thumbsup:
Tho I will say it was nice to see something different, to bad man that thinks pretty f'n cool.:laugh:

Posted via Mobile

You have transformed your bike into a Republican. tim

Could it just be that the bike alignment is "true" and is responding to the crown in the road?
Yamimoto

It's been engineered and studied and tweaked to death. We even staggered the wheel spacings looking for something. Changed the whole front end as well. No brakes dragging, no tight bearings on the axles, it has been attacked in every way. I'm a firm believer in there being a reason for everything, but I am fed up with this one.

Nope, they've been swapped side to side, even changed the wheels from aluminum to steel with different rubber. I have other projects requiring attention, and this trike has been testing me since the day it hit the street. I have a lot of cool work in it, the Denso alternator attached to the driveline, etc., and it gets a ton of attention at a rally, but it's not worth it to me.

Is it the nature of torque, like at the drag strip when a car launches from a green light. Could you over correct your alignment

I had a honda 350x three wheeler/atc and it had adjustable swing arm bearings.

I over corrected the alignment more than a little, and no to it being a posi rear. The only way I got it to pull straight was a damn near flat on the left side, 10 lbs, and 30 lbs on the right side. Ridiculous, but no real weight involved. Of course that ruined the ride anyway. It just isn't what I wanted it to be, so the cutting is imminent.

Back