RLU Question

figure8

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I have seen this subject broached in many different threads, however I don't recall the procedure not working for someone. I am cleaning up the wiring on my 81, and I wanted to get rid of the RLU. Having read many times how to do it, I did as follows. Disconnected RLU, jumped blue/black to blue/yellow. Tried to kick it, no headlight. Unplugged safety relay, still no light. Fearing another problem, I reconnected the RLU and headlight worked. Redid steps to remove RLU, no light. Any thoughts??

I have seen this subject broached in many different threads, however I don't recall the procedure not working for someone. I am cleaning up the wiring on my 81, and I wanted to get rid of the RLU. Having read many times how to do it, I did as follows. Disconnected RLU, jumped blue/black to blue/yellow. Tried to kick it, no headlight. Unplugged safety relay, still no light. Fearing another problem, I reconnected the RLU and headlight worked. Redid steps to remove RLU, no light. Any thoughts??

If you disconnect the RLU, and jumpered blue/black to blue/yellow, then your headlight will still work. If you are just trying to kick start, but the engine does not actually start, there is not enough voltage from the alternator to operate the Safety Relay, which turns on the headlight. You need the SR working in order to turn on the headlight.

The jumper you put in is all you need to remove the RLU. The headlight will work, assuming your SR is working properly.

Ugh, thank you. Started the bike and the headlight worked. Thanks again, mods please delete thread.

Back