road side chat (somethings wrong here)

WildStripes

Drip Drop Drippin
Reaction score
As I type this from my phone's tiny keyboard, I am stranded. My xs has officially failed me, but I don't blame it. I am simply seeking answers. I did run out of gas... Oops... But I got gas and it fired back up and all seemed well. It idles ok, not great but ok. I try to take off and it falls flat on its face. So I ask... What do I do?? ( other than wait for my buddy with the trailer):banghead:

Did you re-jet to match your new pipes and air box? sounds like your going back to stoick isn't agreeing with your carbs man.

Vacuums petcocks? Did you turn them to prime and allow fuel to fill the carb bowls?

Sometimes I feel like I'm stating the obvious but that would be the kind of thing I would overlook for at least an hour... :doh:

~ Derek

First thing, drain the float bowls into a clean jar and see what comes out. You said it idles and this would eliminate the idle jet from being clogged. Since the idle jet is the smallest, it is usually the first to get blocked by debris. If the idles jet does have a block then remove the mixture screw and spray carb cleaner inside the hole through the idle passages. Wear eye protection!!!

The gas you have may be suspect. A drop of water in the float bowl will let an engine idle but as soon as the engine revs the water will suck up and block the main jet. Happens all the time with Amals and ticklers 'cause water gets in when owners wash the bike.

Tom

Solved the running issue after a good carb cleaning. and the discovery of some mistakes i initially made:banghead:. The bike runs and idles fine now when its warmed up, but if i try to gas it or take off right after starting it the right carb pops. Surely this isnt normal... or is it. Like i said, its fine whan warm

let it warm then. if you take off when the engine is still cold,the oil is still thick, and could tear the sump filter.

Solved the running issue after a good carb cleaning. and the discovery of some mistakes i initially made:banghead:. The bike runs and idles fine now when its warmed up, but if i try to gas it or take off right after starting it the right carb pops. Surely this isnt normal... or is it. Like i said, its fine whan warm
Maybe timing? :shrug:

Could be a number of things, but start with what you changed. When you changed back to the original carb air box configuration did you re-adjust air mix screws? I know it idles but maybe it’s really rich and just enough it bleeds over into the pilot jet off idle. Make sure the crank case vent tubes are securely connected that can cause an issue too. If all else fails start from scratch new plugs, adjust valves, check timing, adjust cam chain tension. Read the manual and check your ignition coil if it’s old.

Back