Roadster Style Build

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
I've been playing with my '83 Heritage for a few months originally going to go the Harleyesque cruiser look and all the while I kept thinking I need to get another XS and build a Roadster (Sport Standard). Can't afford nor have the room for another build project I began assmblying the parts - XS750 Std. tank and seat, 2:1 exhaust, cast spoke sheels, CF turn indicators, Seca Turbo front fender, 17x30 520 final drive, Renthal Superbike bar, CF mirrors, GSXR rearsets as well as all the necesary maintenance and updates - Timken bearings, high output coil, iridium plugs oil filter cooler, progressive spings, shocks and Continental sport oriented tires.

Now the fun begins

The Virgin - barn find

XS-1.jpg

The Mock UP

Roadster1.jpg

Roadster2.jpg

The Gutting

XS-3.jpg

First step to resurection

XS-4.jpg

Second Step to Resurection

XS-5.jpg

Im never satisfied when I paint anything like that , without a complete teardown. BUT...you did great.....I like it and might use that idea of the silver/grey. I am way to sloppy to pull it off somehow. Looks good Jim.

Great start! If I had seen that earlier I would have bought a complete titled XS750 standard that sold for $100 Saturday night on Craigslist. Well I still do know of one with the gas tank and front forks cheap yet. what did you use to make the tank sides black?

The tank is in original paint as well as the side covers and tail section. All will be painted midnight blue metalic. Seat two tone black side panels and light grey rider insert - eventually a complete refoam and cover by Sargent

oh man, it is going to look sweet, how does that exhaust sound? you'll have to put up a sound bit, I'm thinking of running that set-up.

I haven't fired it up yet with the 2 - 1 setup. I just hung them on at the end of the day. It sure feels good to start assembly after numerous hours of strip, clean and rebuild. Eager to hear it. If its too loud or I don't like the tone I'll resort to my stand by Supertrappp universals. The header set up is very nice much like the Arrow option on a Thruxton.

This weekend I'll mount the rearsets. I mocked them and ready for bolt on.

By "freky looking" I believe you mean the standard Hertiage 64 spoke set up pictured in the virgin and mock up phtos. I traded with novalidtitle for the cast spoke wheels not installed yet.

this sat and sunday I have to work but I'm available after 5pm.. i'm getting ready to order that mikesxs 2-1 exhaust as well. I got the TCBROS rearsets and I can't mount them due to my current exhaust.

Stage Three
Today was very productive a true 9:00 to 5:00er. Everything went well and for the first time in my life I got done exactly what I planndd with very few hiccups.
2:1 exhaust (MIkes XS-nice piece) had to heat and bend (now I need to hide the discoloration - looking for suggestions) the collector to clear the brake rearset set (Suzuki GSXR600) Still having fund can't wait to give her a go. It's down to paint and tires and I'm ready to burn some asphalt.

Brake Reasrset
IMG_1788.jpg

Shift Rearset
IMG_1790.jpg

Shocks. Caliper, exhaust
IMG_1794.jpg

A few updates getting close to riding maybe 2 more week ends.

GSXR rear sets and MC hooks up fine

IMG_1788.jpg

Seat mounting

IMG_1801.jpg

Tires: Continental TKV Sport Classics realyy wide for a 130 barely clears the swingarm

IMG_1804.jpg

Back