Rocker box sealing questions

GLJ

Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Starting to assemble my engine. I've read through Jim's excellent thread on top ends. But I have a couple of questions. When applying sealer to the head for the rocker box there is no sealer around the 4 studs in the middle of the head. I'm wondering why? I've torn down 2 engines and both show evidence of having sealer there. Does anyone know of a reason not to? Last question is Yamabond 4 the a correct sealer for this application?
upload_2019-3-23_16-57-22.png

Does anyone know of a reason not to?
Doesn't hurt if you want to, but it's not necessary... there's no way oil can work it's way up the studs. If it gives you a warm fuzzy.... go for it. ;)

Can't help you on the sealant.... I'm a Permatex fan. :whistle:

Last edited:
I have been using Yamabond 4.
I believe 4 could make it more difficult to disassemble but have had no problems splitting cases etc using the 4.
Yamabond 4 has an equivalant Threebond 1104.
http://650central.com/
Scroll down the page to find threebond. MMM uses it enough said.
What is the sealer in your photo ?

Yeah... Permatex Aviation sealant.

I always put sealer on those center spots for the very reason you stated - Yamaha did originally. I don't know if it's really needed there but they did it so I do too. I apply the sealer with a trimmed down acid flux brush. Basically, I "paint" it on the surface, spreading a thin, even coat over all of it.

Back