Rokform cell phone mount.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Snagged up a Rokform mount at a good deal on fleabay and have been thinking this will be good.

Dug in the bins and found a Heritage Special stem nut which was drilled M5 from the factory the rokform uses m5 also so just had to use a shorter bolt, done! The mount uses a locking clip that twist locks to a matching aluminum armored phone case.

rokform 001.JPG rokform 002.JPG

rokform 003.JPG rokform 004.JPG

rokform 005.JPG

Put an inline Micro USB charger in the headlight shell, powered it off the tail light circuit, so the phone can be powered with the key in the Park position.
usb charger xs650.jpg mopartz 017.JPG

So far so good, I have the Phone paired to my bluetooth headset in my Quietride helmet so can hear GPS directions. The key is any easy reach, the phone covers the neutral light, not a big deal my feeble mind can still figure out when I 'm in neutral. I may add a neutral LED I can see. I also have my voltage LED down by the key so will have to move that. I use HERE GPS on my Galaxy S5 Android that doesn't need phone data, the maps are downloaded, the whole USA is on the SD card. It's a fairly simple GPS, but I have been running it on a tablet in the van and on the BMW, nearly 10,000 miles so far :thumbsup:
The only downside so far is that the GPS sucks the phone pretty hard. I need to be careful I don't draw down the battery even with the charger going. I have been able to keep a tablet going for full day rides. With the heavy power draw; the phone can get hot if left sitting in the sun and shut down.

GPS tracked with no problems all day, 240 miles. even in bright sun the display stayed very readable. Bluetooth GPS directions into the helmet speakers A+. I am a having an issue with phone charging that I need to track down yet, but it worked through out the day. 50 plus miles of HARD riding on very rural (often rough) roads with constant brakes, acceleration through the gears, and cornering. Everything stayed put no problemo.

GPS tracked with no problems all day, 240 miles. even in bright sun the display stayed very readable...

Sounds great. I've had several cell phone mounts for my trucks that don't work that well, certainly wouldn't trust them on a bike. I also have an SGS5, but have trouble reading it in sunlight. There's a vibration/accelerometer app that might provide amusement...

I am still using rokform and Here we go GPS on a Samsung S5. I moved the mount out to the clutch perch area Have it on several bikes. Gotta lot of miles on it now. Quit using the safety lanyard after years with no problems. Sure enough got bit. phone hit the road at 60, lucky to notice when it left, the aluminum rokform case allowed it to survive, but the screen cracked pretty good, that was over a year ago, phone is still chugging along. Phone heating up in the heavy case with constant use is an issue, If I'm on one road for miles, shutting off the screen really helps, still get voice in the helmet with screen off so can turn it on for towns etc.
I really like the quietride helmet with inflatable ear seals. Bought a full face Shoei with an internal sunscreen flip down visor, but in some A-B testing, the quietride sealed quiet won out over the sunscreen function. I kinda wore out the first quietride and got another. If I get ambitious I'm swapping the Sena on the Shoei over to the quiet ride before Ozarks. Those Chinese bluetooth' work but pairing is kind of a pain, sacrificing a chicken often part of the ritual. :wink2:

Last edited:
Back