Roll call

DB354ADD-6944-4BBC-84D8-5FBFD324690D.jpeg
I’m in Poulsbo, WA. I have a 1978 XS650SE that I’ve just about completed restoring and looking forward to warmer riding weather.

Ahhhh ! that should help the restoration process go allot faster ! now to set the floats and air screw nice and properly with the dead cylinder test and your in like flynn !
welcome to the site "Rented Mule"....... there's lot's of info in the tech section , under Forums, garage....it's at the top.....
Bob....

Ahhhh ! that should help the restoration process go allot faster ! now to set the floats and air screw nice and properly with the dead cylinder test and your in like flynn !
welcome to the site "Rented Mule"....... there's lot's of info in the tech section , under Forums, garage....it's at the top.....
Bob....
Thanks for for the welcome. As for the garage forum I have already spent any hours trying to absorb the wealth of information.

Hay RM, did Oldschoolcarbs put the caps back on the pilot air screw's the ones that cover the air screws so you can set the mixture properly ?
I hope not... as their a PITA to get out once their in.... I got mine out with a Drywall screw and a flat pry bar, and they came right out but you gott'a be careful not to take the drywall screw in too far...and hit the adjusting screw....
those holes their in are in front of the towers on each carb.
it was a fantastic feeling when I finally got my 83'xs650 purring like a Kitten .... i don't think I'll ever forget it ! HA !
Bob............

D813D823-1FBA-4845-8DE5-17316D55F302.jpeg
I suspect we also have a few bottom feeders in this area who need to register an account. Come on guys and gals if you’re reading this it’s time to join the ranks.

Hay RM, did Oldschoolcarbs put the caps back on the pilot air screw's the ones that cover the air screws so you can set the mixture properly ?
I hope not... as their a PITA to get out once their in.... I got mine out with a Drywall screw and a flat pry bar, and they came right out but you gott'a be careful not to take the drywall screw in too far...and hit the adjusting screw....
those holes their in are in front of the towers on each carb.
it was a fantastic feeling when I finally got my 83'xs650 purring like a Kitten .... i don't think I'll ever forget it ! HA !
Bob............
No caps everything looks good but then again I can usually find a way to screw things up.

Hey garage dwellers, anyone interested in getting together after the Holidays? If so, I’d take the lead to find a place to conduct an intellectual meeting of the minds. Well, maybe not so intellectual on my part.

View attachment 109060
I just got my carbs back from Rick West of “Oldschoolcarbs” and they look like their direct from the factory. Very impressed with his service and turn around time.
I had Rick rebuild some B38's. He had girlfriend problems a few years back. She screwed up the business. He missed my instructions about running the stock airbus and installed the wrong jets. Then he got very pissy with me. I will never do business with him again

Hey Beamerboy, sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Rick. I know we all can have our moments and you must have caught him at a very difficult time. But, that’s part of the experience of refurbishing an older bike. Personally, I would rather do business with a grumpy old man than to stand across a counter from the maintenance manager telling you how it’s going to be, i.e., SouthSound BMW, “Sorry, your bike is to old, we don’t work on those anymore.” What?

Yup - I agree with RentedMule.

I’ve never dealt with OldSkoolCarbs - but I think that BeemerBoy’s review is the only negative one I have seen thus far. Nonetheless, I’ll certainly agree that having a bad experience with someone is a PITA.

Given the huge number of positive reviews of OldSkool’s work - I’d chalk it up to a bad day/week - and we all get to have some of those IMO.

However, trying to reason with a know-it-all, smart-@ss, pimply-faced teenybopper twerp who is addicted to social media and thinks everything is AWESOME from underneath his sideways baseball hat - is very tiresome. I truly struggle to resist reaching across the parts counter, grabbing him by the collar and using my “OldSkool Engineerïng Professor” voice to point out the pecking order of the world to him.

I believe Dude referred to that as my “Bruce Willis” side recently....

Pete

Danger - Thread Hijack in Progress: Bob Kelly, is this the Weed as mentioned in the book "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck?? Or is Weed a common name like Whitchurch and Newport in the UK.

Some how I knew someone would not be able to resist that!....
I do live in a town called Weed,CA. ! I'm not INTO Weed , I simply Live in weed..... no wait that sounds worse! LOL
the tow I am in was named after a feller back in the 1800's I think.... but I'ed have to go to the Musien to get his first name !
I do however admit it's not a very common name for a town.... but it Is a Big booming metropolis with 2 whole signal lights ! and one restaurant! and 2 fast food joints a pizza factory and sub way.... and about 2 miles away from the hart of town is a truck stop and burger king,mcDonalds, and a taco bell.....and a new grocery store too ! ....but that is actually a long way out of town
it's like they extended the city limits to include those guys to up their tax revenue ! LOL
anyway.... so who else is out there ?
anyone close to me ?
LOL
Bob...........

I did a little checking and you live in Weed as mentioned in the Book. Congratulations, everyone taking English classes in the UK reads about your little town in "Of Mice and Men".

So this is the North west section....... who all lives in the North west of the USA EH ?
As I said , I do although I'ed be right on the southern border of the north west USA .....
I live south of Medford Or. about 65 miles on the California side of the Oregon border.
.... fantastic Riding here... lots of 2 lane farm roads snaking through the boonies.... many old towns
and a beautiful Mountain that towers over the entire area !
Bob........

Back